Putting out a job application - Expect people to read it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by MeanBossLady, May 19, 2013.

1. MeanBossLady

MeanBossLady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, all! Here's my question: if you put out an ad looking to hire someone for your company with a lengthy description of what you're looking for, how you're paying, and other misc information, do you expect people who apply to read the entire ad?

I'm looking for artists for my website project and in this ad I address key factors such as what kind of artwork I'm looking for, how I'm paying, how much I'm paying, what art work Ill need, revenue, and rights to the images. Overall, the ad is about 1 1/2 pages long, but this also includes a list of the images, so subtract that, it's not an unreasonably long ad. It has all the information an artist (I think) would look for in a paying job.

It's pretty clear to me that the vast majority of the people did NOT read the ad because I have had people ask me questions regarding everything that was stated in the ad. I have people submitting their paintings (on canvases) for a *website* project. That's clearly not digital artwork, especially when the ad I posted is in the DIGITAL ARTWORK SECTION of the website. Smh.

I have been told that it's not reasonable to ask people to read the ad and to shorten it and I had one person agree with me that the ad should have all the information up front so people know what they're getting into.

Opinions?

I'm just tired of people not following directions. If you can't read the ad, why would I assume you'd follow directions later?

I even sent a packet of information to a potential artist with terminology AND the definition (it was literally two terms) and they later asked me to clarify those two terms. They didn't read the message!!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That seems like a very long ad MeanBossLady, I don't think I've ever seen an employment ad that took up more than one page in a newspaper. However, I do agree with you that anyone who applies for a job should take the time to read the full vacancy ad. If they are not prepared to read the ad, I'd question if they would be prepared to apply themselves, were they to get the job. You would also question their motivation and enthusiasm if they can't be bothered to read an ad.

On a related note, have you had someone proof-read the ad to ensure that it is not confusing or difficult to understand, for potential applicants?

3. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is a good thing to provide all the information so that people do not have doubts. However, it is human tendency to confirm things so even though people might have read it all still some might ask you again to be sure.

And usually people looking for a job get excited when they see and offer and often ask more about it even though they might have read about it.

What you can do is make the ad precise and mention that you do not want artwork on canvas on bold so people would stop doing that.

4. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its just like you have ti just mention important points in your add.then the people who are interested to move in that field must be given full description about the work if they are interested in doing so.

Its not that all people dnt read full add,but sometimes people dnt have time and most probabbly mood to go through such a long ad.

5. Marketest

Marketest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That does seem rather long for a job ad. I would agree with what everyone else has said and get someone to proof read the ad; they are more likely to find irrelevant information and provide an unbiased opinion.

6. MeanBossLady

MeanBossLady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, all. I haven't edited the ad or anything but I did find someone for the job. Everyone I contacted, I reiterated the information. I didn't contact people who obviously didn't read it, and I had cut out a couple more people after reiteration, but it all worked out in the end.

If I need to fill another position, I think I will do bulletin points or something! Make it faster and easier to read.

7. thealchemist

thealchemist
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I've learned that, in general, most people don't read period; unless it's something quick, easy, and simple. I bet that most of the people who saw your ad probably felt very intimidated by the size of the ad and more than likely skimmed through it for keywords. As important as it is to be up front with people regarding what they are getting into, I think the best strategy first involves understanding that most people probably won't ready anything that's too lengthy. If you can figure out a way to visually grab their attention you might be able to hold their attention for a bit longer so that they read the entire ad. But this all just assumption as people can be pretty unpredictable.

8. LordRoco

LordRoco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think advertisements must be made reasonably long, but not overly huge. In your case, you can make it short and try to get the attention of as many people as you like. When they show interest and contact you, you can send in an email (or any other means of communication) your full demands. Remember, giving them information after they have expressed their interests works the most. people might frown at your advertisements when they see something huge and unreasonable.

Its like giving the topography plan in an advertisement about a land that your looking to sell.