Purchasing/Bidding on Scrap

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by jedil64931, Oct 9, 2011.

1. jedil64931

jedil64931
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First time poster here... names Josh, and i'm glad I found this forum. You'll be seeing me around for sure!

My company is interested in buying the scrap material left over from manufacturing companies, for recycling/reuse in Asia. I would like to just setup a recycling plan with these companies where we buy/pickup the material as it becomes ready. However, it seems that most of these manufacturers have a bidding process, where companies regularly bid on the material instead. I would like a purchasing guru to help me to understand if there is a formal business process, or good way to "get in" on these bids? Or, even just who I would contact at the company (individual plant supervisors, sales, etc.) I'm not sure how to get invited to bid. Lately i've been having to deal with materials brokers, who bid at the plants and then jack up the price for me... Help!!!

I sincerely appreciate everything in advance,
    Josh

tl;dr - How do I "get in" on the bidding for a Manufacturing companies scrap material. Is there a formal business process? This is private industry.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Josh. Have you contacted the relevant manufacturing companies and asked them if they would be interested in selling scrap to you? It's generally not difficult to purchase stuff as long as you are prepared to pay for it. Most businesses would be very happy to speak to someone who is willing to buy from them and they should be open about what you need to do in order to meet their requirements. As a buyer you don't have to always follow the rules, if you are paying good money you can also set rules as to how people need to sell to you.