Punishment as a Self-Motivator

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you ever motivate yourself by punishing yourself in some way, if you don't complete a task when you said you would?

If you do, what kind of punishments do you use?

This is not something I have ever done, but wonder if it would be a good motivational tool.

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i won't do that. :D
    but after google punished me i suddenly realized i need to work harder to cope up. it then gradually became a habit to update and spam especially :D

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't responded well to punishment or being talked down to since I was about six. :) I'm far more motivated by praise or recognition - something that makes me feel good, not bad. It took me years to realise positive reinforcements work better for me than negatives. My parents couldn't figure me out either because of that. Telling me off never did have much effect. :)

My biggest motivating factor right now is getting some free time to play an old game I loved and rediscovered. I don't let myself do it until the work's out the way. That falls into the feel good category because it helps me de-stress. I have fun and feel like I can face another day better. :) I don't think beating yourself up with negative self-talk is ever a good thing under any circumstances.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think a punishment will help as a motivator. It kinda works on some thing, like what I saw in television.
    So far, I really do not do that. Besides, I don't even force myself to put a deadline on everything I do. If I do that, I'll most likely cram and fail in the end. What motivates me more is my family. :)

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It seems that our members avoid punishment and use rewards for motivation, more carrot than stick.

There are some boring tasks that I really need to motivate myself to get done, I was considering imposing some kind of punishment or fine on myself for when I don't complete them on the days scheduled.

6. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, did you go to a christian brother school by any chance:)

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

No, thankfully not rakebackblogger, I went to a De La Salle Bothers's school. The Principal brother was very strict and the school reflected that, but thankfully nothing like the level of the Christian Brothers. But it's a good question, I was really thinking of a minor punishment for myself, not a flogging or anything :)

8. RogelynVKW

RogelynVKW
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm. I don't consider punishing to push myself to do a task. I would rather think of something I like, food I love to eat, something that would make me happy and then give it to myself as a reward once I am done with the task that I need to do. That would keep my fire burning!! LOL

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You're probably right RogelynVKW, I read before that positive reinforcement of desired behaviour is a stronger motivator than negative reinforcement of behaviour that is not desired.

10. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't really punish myself. Even if I did, I don't know how I could do it but I keep striving to reach what I failed and then I will eventually get there!

11. RogelynVKW

RogelynVKW
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Same when you have kids. You should never give punishments because they did wrong or they didn't follow you on some ways, but give them a reward once they did follow you. It don't need to be something materialistic, it can be a hug, a kiss a smile and so on :)

12. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

IMO punishing yourself would not serve the purpose, one need to be more determine to do that thing again in which he/she failed.

G!

13. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I don't complete a task, I simply reschedule it. And if it's a priority item, it is scheduled first thing for the next morning. But no, I don't really punish myself. I believe more in positive reinforcement.

14. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Punishment might not be the good way for motivation. It might increase your tension on the next task.
    Better give yourself some award if you complete the task, else no award. Then, it might motivate you to complete the task

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. I decided not to use punishment as a motivation tool and thankfully my motivation & determination have improved tremendously in recent months.

16. Joel

Joel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, i do not motivate myself by punishing myself.

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

18. brandy

brandy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True motivation as per many people is by rewards. But one thing I feel members should be careful if you are rewarded by another person. Those people who don’t want to see others prosper in life will flatter you with presents. So I feel that we should always self-evaluation that is to check on yourself first before someone tells you that you are right.be sure about yourself.

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why do you say that, surely giving gifts is a sign of generosity? People usually give gifts to people they care about as a way of showing their appreciation for them.

20. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, this concept of whether to use punishment or not has even been extended to dog training. Before, the top dog trainers use to utilize various methods of punishing our dogs for bad behaviour. But the trend these days, is more positive reinforcement rather than using punishment. They say that dog training will be far more effective when we focus on rewarding dogs for good behaviour and obedience. They will seek to work for those rewards and not do the things that won't get them any. So if positive reinforcement works for them, I suppose it will work for us!

• Like Like x 1