Public Speaking.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by JPM, Aug 10, 2011.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How many of us feel comfortable when speaking in public?

How often does your job require you to do this, and how many people would you generally speak to?

2. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had to do lots when I was a manager in the pharma industry. Not only did I present marketing plans to management, I did lots of presentations to our entire sales force which can be audience sizes from 40 to 100 on a regular basis. I as prepared for this when I first started doing presentations in MBA school. All of this of course led me to eventually become a professional speaker today.

Interestingly enough, I prefer larger audiences in the hundreds (or more) compared to small groups (less than 10) in seminar settings. I get more energy as a big audience speaker.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's interesting to hear. I was terrified when I did a best man's speech in front of 400. It was my best mate and I didn't want to mess up.

4. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the greatest fears most people have is public speaking. I am not sure why that it is, but it probably has a lot to do with the fact on how we want to be perceived. Nobody wants to look like a failure or appear to be weak in other peoples eyes. When we speak in public we are imagining everyone judging our every move from eye blinking all the way up to presentation. If we were to better prepare ourselves for our speech it would help calm our nerves tremendously, and quite possibly turn our speech into a memorable, and enjoyable moment.
    How does one go about preparing for it? Well first make sure to do your homework beforehand. Not only should you know what you will be speaking about, but find out who your audience are. What age group they belong to, find out if possible what some of their interests might be. Practice giving over your speech to someone beforehand, and ask them if they found room for improvement in your speech, and in the way you gave it over. Another important thing is to just be yourself. Don't try to come off as something your not, you are the best you can be, and not the best being someone else.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GamingOn

GamingOn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My job does not require this at all. Public speaking for me is talking to someone on the phone which I also don't have to do often in my work. I am not comfortable I don't think doing public speaking.

6. Terry Harvey

Terry Harvey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had to do a presentation at school just before I left last month. I was sh*tting myself because there was 500 people watching. Although it's funny because four years ago, I was in a pantomime playing the main part of Oliver in front of thousands of people for over a month, and I didn't feel any stagefright or anything then. It did earn me some good money though. :p

7. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i really feel uncomfortable speaking infront to people i don't know. wanna learn it some time. but speaking to people i know is really easy though.

8. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes I prefer people I don't know to be honest. I tend to be much mote st ease when it is work related rather than when I was a best man, for example.

9. GamingOn

GamingOn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Best man I was drunk that was easy...LOL. I was the best man at a wedding and I gave a speech it was amazing. :D

10. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm at a point where I would like to do talks each week if possible, as long as I don't have to travel that much. I really enjoy the interaction with audiences. The 3-part videos that I make available for my website visitors are actually taken from some of my live talks.

11. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i remember i have such confidence when i was in high school and that i really can talk alot infront of many people. but i don't know what happen, i seem to hide myself every time i'm on this situation. while we're on this topic, what can you advice to people who don't have courage and confidence to talk to public? :D

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My advice would be take every opportunity you can to speak in public, even if it's just to stand up and outline some points to a group of three or four people. Practice makes perfect and the more often you do it, the less nervous you will be.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You also need to stay in the routine of doing it on a regular basis.

• Like Like x 1
  14. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

okay so practice makes perfect. but how do you handle your audience' eyes that sometimes is intimidating?

15. Businessbinocular

Businessbinocular
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Public speaking is an art. I used to participate in elocution competitions at school. I have been the master of ceremony at office and college functions. So I am not exactly scared to go up the stage. There is this adrenaline thingy though, the first few moments before I start. Once I get over the first 2-3 minutes there is no fear... I am pretty good. Hmm.

16. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

seen lots of people like you who speaks and make people laugh while in front speaking naturally, especially those motivational speakers. i admire them a lot for their skills.
    and i also noticed those people who weren't that good at speaking publicly and their lips are noticeably trembling while they mumble the words almost eating it successively :D
    I tend to act that way too from time to time when our organization meet, i guess speaking isn't just making yourself mentally prepared.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

ownedbox have a look at this thread, there are some great tips in it - Public Speaking & ToastMasters. Joining ToastMasters is something that you should also consider, it would give you all the help and practice you need to become a competent public speaker.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used to speak to small audiences of about 100-200 and as a techie found it pretty difficult, so i would distract their attention away from me by showing cool ideas and products.

19. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In addition to what Fergal suggested about speaking regularly, what I found really help me develop as a speaker was to speak in as many different venues and audiences as you can. Each room has a different configuration and as a speaker, you have to adjust for it. The more variety of rooms and audience sizes, the better. This way, one can easily move from small board room to large lecture hall with just a few adjustments.

20. etrade123

etrade123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Generally, I prefer above 100. I have spoken between above 75 peoples.