Public Speaking - Notes

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by howdoi, Jul 20, 2010.

1. howdoi

howdoi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Using notes is an excellent way to make sure that you cover all the important points of the speech.

If you try and memorize everything, you will remember that you forgot to talk about something about 5 seconds after you step off stage.

Use any form that works for you. Nowhere does it say you must use point form, on 3 X 5 non glossy 18 weight card stock purchased during a full moon.

I will say this again and again, there are no major rules!

Prepare

Relax

Deliver the information

I watched a presenter using PowerPoint.

He didn't have physical notes in his hand, and when he clicked over to the next slide, he turns, looks at the screen as if to say "yep, just checking that this is the correct slide".

The pause he took to look at the screen allowed him to collect his thoughts, as well as remind him of the next point in his speech. Much like one would do if they had to look down at a piece of paper.

The audience may not have known this, instead thinking about how calm and collected the speaker was. And it worked!

Remember, get the information to your audience! And have fun!
    (fyi, just started the blog yesterday, so it is a bit sparse right now. dont fret, there's more to come!)

2. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would like to emphasise the preparation stage. The more you know your subject, the more confident you are going to be and try to anticipate as many different possible questions as you can.

Also, believe that the audience are on your side and focus on a positive outcome.

3. pwsolutions

pwsolutions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if you are prepared you can control your audience. so it is better to work on your preparation rather thinking about the techniques to overcome your hesitation. if you are confident that you are prepared you will feel more relaxed and will be able to perform well.