Public Speaking - Hands!

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by howdoi, Jul 18, 2010.

1. howdoi

howdoi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So many people are told to put their hands in certain places at various times during a speech. One reference actually says to put "hand notations" in your speech, so that you can look at the paper and know when to use your hands. Yikes!

If you are able to use gestures in normal, everyday interactions with people to emphasize a certain point, then you can apply that to a public speaking situation. You don't need to be told to breathe, or to not set your car on fire. So why be told what to do with your hands?

Just be normal. Being yourself on stage is okay. Nobody is going to say "well, he certainly didn't use his left hand enough for my tastes. I'm off to rob a bank!" Don't worry about such minor things as where your hands are. Focus on getting the job done, and delivering the information to your audience.

One caveat however: If you are prone to playing with things in your pocket, then empty them out before you go on stage. Wow! A simple solution to a simple problem! Imagine that.

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I could never be so structured when I'm speaking as to have such control over my hands. Talk about micromanagement! That's going to trip you up. Just as you shouldn't try speak parrot fashion, your hands shouldn't be scripted either.

One thing I would be conscious of is touching your face and/or mouth when you're talking. Some speakers almost cover their mouths when pausing between sections which not only muffles what they're saying but is poor body language. Any amateur student of non-verbal communication can tell you both are signs of lying. Be conscious of not folding your arms into a defensive posture too.

3. brownnataly21

brownnataly21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A good psycologist can understand the inner state of the person just looking at his hands, how he gestures and so on. That's why it's better to keep hands somehwere neutral. It takes time to get used to it.