Public companies can't do business with minors?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Shotgun, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Shotgun

Shotgun
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm selling a website to a PUBLIC company, and now they're asking for my full name, address, and either a driver's license or passport. They say that as a public company they are required by their auditors for each purchase they make, and the identification is to confirm that I am not a minor.

Is this a scam?

#1 Shotgun, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I couldn't say for sure if it was a scam but I'd certainly be extremely cautious about handing over your driver's license or passport information. My worry would be identity theft. Have you done any checks on the company themselves to see if they really are a public company? What country are they based in?

3. Shotgun

Shotgun
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They are a public company and have confirmed that to me, so I'm not really worried about that. What I'm worried about, is handing over my personal information. It's dangerous. They stated that it is against the law to enter into a contract with a minor, and they need this idendifitication to prove that I am not a minor.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Shotgun are you over 18? Roughly speaking, about how much money is involved in the sale?

I'm not sure why they say they can't do business with minors. Public companies sell to minors all the time, everything from candy to computer games.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, that's selling to minors. But will they buy from a minor?

6. brownnataly21

brownnataly21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is a usual thing for them to ask such kind of information as it can be connected with taxes and some rules in the company.

7. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is a difference between selling to a minor and entering into a contract with a minor. In many states and countries if you are under a certain age (18, some 21, some different again) then if you are below that age you cannot sign a legal document, I.e. a contract.