Protein Shakes: Brilliant or a waste of money?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Jay., Mar 8, 2013.

1. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd like to get your views on protein shakes.

I've done a little research online and whilst there's mixed reviews, the general consensus seems to be that if used after a workout, they can be quite effective and are a good option if you get a good quality shake.

What's your opinion? Have you ever used one? Please share your thoughts on anything related to protein shakes.

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't personally tried any. But from what i have heard it's not very good because it has side effects and when you stop taking it the effect starts to reduce.

3. Delgado2009

Delgado2009
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've used BSN True Mass for a couple of times...It's more like a weight gainer because it also contains carbohydrates than only proteins. I had results but not the best! You should stick that protein shake with something else like a multivitamin, fish oil and other similar supplements.

But make sure you go to the gym, otherwise you'll become fat.

4. BacklinksInc

BacklinksInc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There not bad, and there a great substitute for a meal, reminds me i need to stock up on some lol

5. Delgado2009

Delgado2009
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What protein are you taking, mate? :)

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I took some a few years ago when I was going to the gym and another time when I was training quite hard at cycling. I felt that they helped speed up my recovery after a hard workout, but as with all supplements it's quite difficult to know whether they are working or not.

7. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Instead of protein shakes I suggest the right foods for building muscle - salmon, steaks, almonds. Even coffee is good, and plenty of water of course.

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't feel the need of protein shake ...I have included egg once a week and milk in every two days.....so there is enough protein in diet...have a proper diet of milk products and you don't need protein shakes any more....

9. sheepishwolf

sheepishwolf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I wanted to begin using protein shakes, I would talk to a nutritionist or doctor before starting to take it. Most people already get enough protein in their diet already from basic meals, and if they have too much protein for a long period of time that can damage the kidneys and liver. But, if I were ever to begin a training program for say, a marathon I would then likely add a protein shake into my diet. I did that a few years ago, and the most difficult task that came about when I was trying to find one to use was finding one with a flavor that I could stand! But after unsuccessfully trying so many protein shakes with bad tastes, I discovered that adding certain fruits to it can make the taste better.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've mixed feelings when it comes to drinking coffee. Sometimes I feel it gives me a good boost and can help my concentration and productivity. Other times I feel it does more harm than good. I'd be interested in hearing a little more as to why you say it can be "good".

11. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest balance diet and also fresh salads rather than protein shakes. Do some regular and proper exercises for your body. Yoga is brilliant exercises for mental health. Drink an orange, apple or any juice you like after a workout.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've seen a few lists of food and drink recommendations to build muscle and coffee was on there. I enjoy a few cups at most in the morning, any more than that I start feeling a bit edgy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jvs1207

jvs1207
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They are excellent for building mass. If you want to gain muscle it's essential that you eat alot of protein and carbohydrates, muscle is made of protein and uses carbs. Now if u don't mind eating a LOT of meat and fish everyday to get the amount of protein needed for optimum musclegains, then you don't need it. If you don't really mind quick gains you don't need it either but when you want some easy digestable and quick proteins to supplement your diet, shakes are brilliant.
    I'll demonstrate:
    For building muscle, an adult male needs about 1-1,5 grams per pound bodyweight. Let's say you weigh 180lbs, that means that you need at 180-270 grams of protein. Compare this to the amount of protein in a steak (considered protein-rich food) wich is about 22g per 100g. You would have to eat the equivalent of about 8 steaks a day. This whilst a protein shake with some milk can contain about 40g of protein wich is very easily prepared and chugged down in a minute. Plus, these are high quality proteins, depending on what you take you've got fast absorbing or slow absorbing powders etc.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I appreciate all of the responses and will certainly take your feedback on board. I was able to get a good deal at The Protein Works (click the text and get 250g free with your first order) and so decided to try some out. I'll let you know my results.

I must say I was impressed with how nice they actually taste; I'd especially recommend the Vanilla Creme flavour. :p

15. TT Annoy Me

TT Annoy Me
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Protein shakes are really good after a workout. However, you get the same amount of protein in a tin of tuna, so it's more personal preference. Whoever said they have side effects has clearly been taking some dodgy protein; stick to the main companies such as MaxiMuscle and you can't go wrong.

Best to take it after a workout though; helps your muscles (which have torn after working out) to build up again and build up stronger.

16. B2025

B2025
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Side effects on protein shakes? Never ever ever heard of it, and been working out a while; know several bodybuilders.... never heard of this.

the only question on protein shakes is what value you get from them.

Does refined protein give you the same benefit as natural protein?
    Several sources suggest no, but also there is some benefit.

Keep in mind, it is a supplement --- and is supposed to be taken IN ADDITION TO regular protein in your diet. Make sure you eat well first, and only use your shakes to supplement.

also, different shakes have different content. Some will give you 30-40 grams protein in a serving. Others give you 15ish and are loaded with sugars. Make sure you take a close look at what you're putting into your body.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bburkeconsulting

bburkeconsulting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Protein Shakes

After a workout is the best time to get protein into the body so that the protein can be delivered to your muscles, to begin healing the "micro tears" (very small tears in the muscle tissue, caused by intense contraction of the muscle during workout) in the muscle.

Because solid food takes more time to digest and to break down the protein and send it to the muscles, it can be best to take a protein shake immediately following a workout, since protein shakes only take about 30 minutes to reach the muscle after ingestion. Definitely, we can see the advantage to taking a protein shake in this instance.

18. peterfarrell22

peterfarrell22
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Protein shakes are good. It helps to fulfill the required energy in your body after a good workout. Too much of everything is not good. Hence, make sure that if you are in bodybuilding, you are concentrating on other sources of protein too, with protein shakes.

19. M.Ehrmantraut

M.Ehrmantraut
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I spent thousands on supplements and protein powders in my younger years. During the years I was competing in powerlifting, I had finally gotten wise to the supplement industry but I kept protein powder around for when I needed to get some protein in and didn't have the time to cook or eat - that being said, the best gains in strength and muscle were by eating whole foods. A good quality protein powder is good to have on hand and some proteins are absorbed faster(as a poster above said, post-workout you definitely want to get protein in to your muscles and a shake before you eat is perfect in this case) and some like casein, slower, so you can get one to suit your needs, but I'd tell anyone to get the majority of your protein from whole food sources.

20. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are working out to gain mass and muscle then a good supplement that is safe to consume would be fine. You will be consuming energy when you lift heavy and your muscle torn, what better way to help your body repair and replace lost energy than by drinking a post work out protein shake. You have to be careful though because too much protein can hurt your kidneys.