Protecting your batteries?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by LordRoco, Feb 20, 2013.

1. LordRoco

LordRoco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you do to protect your batteries? The first time I ever bought a laptop was some fiver years before. I had to replace the entire battery (and subsequently my laptop) in about two years. The reason was, i constantly charge my batteries without letting them to work alone. It made me in an awful situation where you literally have a laptop, but isnt a 'laptop' at all.

Two years later, when I bought a new one, I made it a point to always make it 'work' rather than to leave it plugged 24X7. For now, my laptop hasnt given me any problems, but only God knows what will come! xD

2. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I keep it plugged 24x7 ..but I keep it a point to also allow periodic discharge of the batteries completely.....this have sustained my batteries of laptop for more than 6 years...still it gives one hour backup from 2.5 hours backup initially .....I think not a bad performance ...:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. LordRoco

LordRoco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I talked to a software expert (I think he know a lot about computers too), he informed me that the best way to keep your laptop plugged 24X7 would be by setting the power options of your laptop to 'High'. This will ensure that more power is taken up by the gadget rather than it being used to charge and discharge the battery (or so he says)

What do you all think?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers deliberately design the batteries to not last long. I've had three Dell laptops and within 6 months each one needed the battery replacing. Not sure what they cost now, but four years ago it was about £120.

5. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For protecting your batteries, I think you should not connect it to power supply all the time. I mean when you don't use your laptop, it's better to shut it down. Also when there is no power supply around, don't use the laptop so that the battery comes to nil and is forced to shut down automatically. Don't expose your batteries to heat. It may damage your battery life.