Protecting my work

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by agentmanningctu, Jul 20, 2010.

1. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am starting a website to sell articles. I am going to have a page with excepts of full articles so that people can have examples, but I want to make sure these aren't stolen.

What should I add to make sure they are protected?

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Any articles that are put online are at risk of being copied. There's no surefire way to prevent it unfortunately.

The simplest way to make it hard for them is to make the example an image so they can't just copy/paste the text. You can also watermark the image then by using sites like signgenerator. The latter also allows you to add a custom caption.

You could also ask people to register to view them but that may be a step too many for most. Sadly plagiarism is an occupational hazard. Doesn't mean you need to make it easy for them though! :) Good luck with your new site.

3. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks very much for your help. I thought about making them images, but the watermark tip is very useful. Thanks again. :)

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Aside from this, you could also insert a little javascript code on your site to prevent the use of right-click.
    When a visitor tries to copy your text using right-click, there will be an error message that will show up.

Here's a way to do it:
    No Right Click with Alert
    No Right Click without Alert

Hope that helps.