Protecting Artistic Designs

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by turfnsurf, Sep 22, 2010.

1. turfnsurf

turfnsurf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I’ve created a multitude of graphic designs that could potentially be printed on tee-shirts or flags for example. If the designs are popular enough, I’d like to market them in the hopes of getting some amount of financial return for my efforts. I want to protect my work. Rather than getting each design individually copyrighted, if I create an LLC and state the work was created from, or originated from this LLC, would the work then be protected? If not, can it be? And if so, how would I go about all that.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum turfnsurf, thanks for joining and posting!

Are you based in the US? If not what country are you based in?

3. turfnsurf

turfnsurf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

based in US

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I could be wrong but I don't think making the company an LLC makes any difference. Either way you would still need to copyright the design. In the meantime you can simply watermark any images you have of them online in a portfolio.

You can read more on protecting your graphics work online here. There are several links there that could help.

And welcome to Business Advice Forum! Nice to meet you. :)

5. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For what i think the best and easy way is to watermark your designs so people can't use it unless they have a way to remove the watermark. One of the trick it to hidden your watermark within your designs. So when a person uses your designs, you can show him the watermark or you can even sue him if the matter go serious.

6. turfnsurf

turfnsurf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can do the watermark and was talking about that with someone else. They said the same thing concerning the protection. They also said to put a disclaimer along with the graphic stating specifically that the graphic is not to be used without my consent or some such verbiage. Does all that make the work I do "legally" mine? Or would I still have to go with copyright?

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It has to be copyrighted and trademarked so that you have the all the rights to image.
    You can protect it so that anyone will not try to use it without your consent.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you design the image, no one else has the right to use it without your permission. If someone does use it without your permission you have the right to pursue them legally and it will obviously help if you can prove that you are the original creator of the design in question.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with US copyright law so I'm not sure what additional benefits you would get by registering your designs. If you are concerned about this and you are investing in your business, you should probably seek some professional legal advice on it.