Proper use of the digital camera

Discussion in 'Smartphones & Other Devices' started by Corzhens, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When my niece bought a digital camera, I noticed that she is not using the maximum setting for the resolution. Her camera is 12 megapixels but her resolution is only equivalent to 6 megapixels. Her reason for that is storage that a high resolution photo takes a lot of storage. That made me think because why buy an expensive 12 mp camera when your intention is to use only 6 mp?

With the video, it's practically the same. Set it to the maximum format of HD to get the best of your camera. Don't just settle for the broadcast standard of 480 x 640 pixels.

2. missbishi

missbishi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lol, that's like buying a top of the range stereo system and only wiring one speaker up!

Additional memory isn't too expensive but when buying a brand new digital camera, it's always worth asking the salesperson if there are any "extras" they can throw into the deal such as a memory card or case.

3. OhioTom76

OhioTom76
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are multiple reasons someone may want to shoot at a lower resolution setting. Also, megapixels aren't really a good indicator of resolution or image quality - even a cheap camera with a small sensor can output a large image that is technically 12 megapixels (or whatever size). All they are doing is taking a smaller image and digitally stretching it out to a larger file size that is technically x amount of pixels by x amount of pixels. What is more important is the size and quality of the sensor inside the camera. That is one of the biggest factors which will influence the price of a good camera.

Also, depending on the quality of the camera, it may not be able to handle situations such as shooting a sequence of images really quickly, unless the camera is in a lower resolution mode, since there is a delay in saving those images between each shot. Also they may want to send the images to others via email, and you have to take into consideration that many email services have limits on the sizes of file attachments - Gmail for example limits you at 25mb. Or maybe they intend to upload them directly to some other online photo service which has similar limitations. Full resolution RAW files can often be a couple GB if not larger - not something that can be easily transferred to others.

4. kitchie

kitchie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also realized this when I am changing the setting on my camera to a little lower resolution because I am running out of memory..