Proof that focusing on ranking alone is a poor measure of SEO.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by eurekapsycrille, Apr 5, 2013.

1. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I came across this article posted in Search Engine Land where it discussed about the useless benefit of focusing on rankings and ranking reports. See the article below:

http://searchengineland.com/the-fal...all&utm_source=socialflow&utm_medium=facebook

It is somehow related to the article written by Jill Whalen of High Rankings that tackled about the poor measure effect of rankings. See article below:

http://searchengineland.com/5-reasons-why-rankings-are-a-poor-measure-of-success-13258

The article of Jill was written in 2008. It is 5 years before the article above appeared. And they are still related to each other (I assume that Kristie Colby and Jill Whalen don't know each other). That means, their experiments have came down to one conclusion. Being said that, it gave me an impression that we are so blinded that we keep chasing for "ranks" where in the real picture, it is only a small piece of what SEO really is.

I must admit, I feel really sad when I see my clients go down in rankings. But I realized that SEO is not ranking a website alone. It's a long term process where you bring sales and conversions to your clients (I still might be wrong here).

But in my opinion, ranking is not bad. It's actually a good bonus pay for those who play fair in the game. But for those who crave for ranking only, it will be a life-sucking abyss if you fail to rank your website.

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's an interesting article. But it focuses more on the fact that Rankings Report are not very useful as the rankings are not consistent across various mediums. It does not mean that rankings in itself are not good for your site. Since rankings give you traffic and in turn sales and conversions which the article says is a better measure of seo efforts then the rankings alone.

3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Page Ranking is quite beneficial. Getting your website searched and shown in the first page is something that can help you get more traffic. But for this proper SEO is needed.

4. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never said that rankings are not good for our site. What I want to point is that SEO is not about ranking a website and it's done. Yeah it gives you traffic and conversions but the way we see it is not the same as before. Devices, geographical locations, personalization, IP, and many more are already affecting the search ranking and that what you see in the SERP is not the same as what others see.

5. Interactiveonlin

Interactiveonlin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Days when we cared about PR have passed. Nowadays we should focus on targeted traffic sources and and keyword promotions

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I think you may have confused Page Rank, which is a number between 1 and 10, and was named after Larry Page, with page rank, or position in the search engine results page, or SERP. The ranking that eurakapsycrille is writing about, and the ranking reports referenced in the article linked to, concern the website's position in the SERPs. Selecting the right keywords to be ranked for would indeed give the website owner targeted traffic sources.
    You are right about PR, however - It really is not as big a factor as it once was.

7. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Could you please answer Joeroxx opinion on what kind of PR are you talking about?