Promotion Help

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by infamous1, Sep 21, 2010.

1. infamous1

infamous1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm hoping I can get some help here. I have been with Company A for 3 years and hired as a manager. I have been put on projects with directors that have a ton of other workload, so I've been taking on the responsibilites of my work and the directors' work on the projects. Four roles have been filled within my department and have been hired as senior manager (with less experience than me). Prior, I've applied for a director position and I immediately received negative feedback from my boss saying I did not have the experience and that I must go through a senior manager role before I move to director. So whats the best way of getting promoted to senior manager. My boss recognizes the additional workload that I've taken on that go beyond my normal responsibilities. Should I ask for a promotion to senior manager position? We meet on a weekly basis. If so, whats the best approach?

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. Keep a record with times and dates of all the work including the additional workload you are doing, for your own future reference. It will come in handy when you want to argue your case, or add things to your CV or go to an interview for another position.

2. Start looking for other jobs in companies which are a progression from your current one.

You will feel better psychologically, because you will feel you have power in your hands to decide your future, rather than feeling you are totally dependent on what your current company want.

3. Ask him politely and calmly with a smile. Don't be nervous. He will probably say no and then with a nice smile, ask him why. He will have to justify himself i.e. he will have to do the hardwork whilst you can listen to his "justification".

However you will have made it clear that you are looking for a senior management's role. This will be in his mind.

At all times remain calm, relaxed, polite and be confident in yourself.

You are in a win-win situation, even if they do not promote you the extra workload and skills you are acquiring will be very useful in getting a better job elsewhere, look at it as free training!

If you then politely stop taking on the extra work that you are doing then maybe they will start appreciating what you really bring. If they try to pressurize you to carry on with the extra workload, then if you can say no, if you can't accept it and look for another job elsewhere.

When you do go for interviews elsewhere tell someone privately that you are going, and then word will usually leak (most people do not keep secrets at workplaces) to management and they may get concerned and think about keeping you.

Good luck!

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum infamous1, thanks for joining and posting. Jahan Choudhry has given you excellent advice.

Personally I would exercise caution with that one. I feel that the more valued you are within your current company the more likely you are to progress within the company and the more likely you are to get a job outside the company. Plus the harder you work the more experience you will gain and you will remain true to yourself by being a hard worker. It pays to be careful not to pick up any bad habits. If you start refusing some work your superiors may be concerned that you have changed in some way and are not as dedicated as you were in the past - this would have the potential to do your career more harm than good.

I agree with everything else Jahan said and I would also recommend that you ask your boss if you can be promoted to a Senior Manager position. If your request is refused ask what you need to improve on, so that you can secure the position in the future.

Good luck with it.

4. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that you have to weigh up how valued you are within your department and assess how easy or difficult it would be for your manager to replace you. You can then gauge how demanding you can be in your requests.

Another thing you can do is to get your partner, friends etc. to ring you up at the most opportune times and make out that you are in demand by other companies. You may want just say that you are not interested and pledge your loyalty to your current company or whatever.

I will share a little secrect with you. One time, when I was an IT contractor and at the end of one of my contracts I worked out that the guy sitting opposite me was spying on me for the boss so I got my wife to call me at various times during the day and I made it seem as though I had a number of agencies chasing after me. I ended up getting a 15% pay increase. Now there's a confession.

5. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, such things happen quite often.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a clever tactic Lingua21 :) I have to admit I never heard of that one before. Thanks for sharing it with us.

7. infamous1

infamous1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I appreciate everyone's feedback. So here's an update to my situation (if anyone cares :))

I had my frustrating conversation with some other co-workers and they all recognize the work that I'm doing and going above and beyond my roles/responsibilities. In addition, I've asked a senior director (in another department) to take me under her wing and mentor me. She's agreed and we're setting up a formal mentoring program. Additionally, I've discussed my situation with a trusted co-worker who's also part of the department and he also recognizes my work and said he'll slowly start to talk to my manager about my performance.

While all of this is going on, I had the conversation with my boss about a promotion and he would not give me a straight yes/no answer, he kind of shrugged his shoulders. In my mind, that means, I dont really care for you or your work.

So my plans are to stay in the department, work with my mentor, and network my way to a higher role within the organization.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It sounds as if you are clearer and happier in your mind as to where you are going in the company now infamous1. Good luck with it and thanks for the update.

9. MargaretBuj

MargaretBuj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,
    While I agree with what other people have said, I guess you are a woman and I'd risk saying that there could be lots of other things you are doing or not doing that prevent you from being promoted. It could be the language you are using, not building a strong support network, not getting the buy-in for your ideas etc. , there could be hundreds of reasons.

There are 2 amazing books I'd recommend to you - they've helped me huge amount:

"Hardball for women" by Dr Pat Heim
    and
    "Nice girls don't get the corner office" by Dr Lois Frankel

Warm regards
    Margaret Buj
    Interview Coach

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum MargaretBuj and thanks for recommending those books. Are Dr Pat Heim and Dr Lois Frankel both women?

11. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

On my personal front, I would suggest that you spend some time on this current role..this is because as you have stated..
    ..This means that some planning is already going on in your Boss's mind and he is just waiting for the right time and opportunity....

I guess there must be something better in store for you than your expectations if your boss recognizes your efforts as you have quoted..Just wait for some time and who knows you will get those good wishes come true very soon..

Cheers!

12. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't forget that higher level positions also require superior people skills, not just technical skills. I don't know where your management sees you in this view but in any case, you ought to make sure that your people skills are up to snuff if you want to get into more senior positions.