Promoting Using Google Plus.

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Jerlene, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google+ is an amalgamation of several services we already use. Basically, it takes all of the search engines and makes them into one big social network. This will make it spread the word about your website(s) quicker and you'll reach a wider audience.

If you're looking to promote your website using Google+, putting the +1 button on your website and on individual articles (your content) will help do this.

You're going to want to give your visitors a reason to click that +1 button so try adding links, videos, images, etc. to your content.

Doing the above will enable Google Plus's "Sparks" features. This will show users similar articles, videos, images, etc. to what they have already looked at. So if you're taking advantage of getting a quick +1 using your BAF credits, those users will automatically be told that they should be looking at more of your content.

Simple, right?:)

2. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed. This gives advantage to site owners as almost everybody is using Google as a part of their lives. There used to be other search engines before Google was founded but now almost everyone has left them as if it never existed.

3. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well that's not true. Yahoo!, Bing and MSN is still used a lot.

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i just try on it and see how good is it

5. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great. Let us know how it works out for you. Do you use Google Plus at all, or will this be your first time?

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So Google +1 button is related to Google+?

7. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes! It's the main focus of the Google Plus Project.

8. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For the website +1, there are some error occur, my plus go up to 300 and then drop back to 3, not sure what's going on, maybe this beta version is still not stable. For the google+ social network, it was just launched 2 weeks ago and I was invited week ago, still trying it

9. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, I was recently invited as well. It's alright but I'm more of a fan of the +1 button. That's the whole reason I signed up.

10. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Huh? I've heard a lot of descriptions for the Google+ project, but never heard that one before and I'm slightly baffled by it. How does it take "all the search engines"? It has absolutely nothing to do with Bing, DuckDuckGo, Blekko, Yandex or any search engine other than Google. Google will take the information gained through Google+ to aid with their personalisation and social proofing of SERPs, but the social platform itself has nothing to do with the search engine (other than the credibility they gain from a highly respected brand and people being deeply integrated into their existing services).

What do you mean by "my plus go up to 300"? The number of people in your circles? Or the number of people who've added you to circles?

I've been on + since the second or third day and yet to find any instability. There were plenty of quirks around bottlenecks with invites and doors being closed to new arrivals, but the service itself has been relatively flawless. There are still lots of little tweaks and changes to improve it, but I haven't seen any problems relating to sporadic numbers before.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As i mentioned, the plus is website +1 button (http://www.google.com/+1/button/). Not the google+ social network (https://plus.google.com/up/)

#11 sigma, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  12. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So the amount of +1's you get shows 300 then goes down to 3? Which one is right?

13. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This is a very important distinction. The Google +1 button is the button you see in Google's SE listings and sponsored ads. The Google+ project is a social network, that right now is intended for consumers, and businesses are being discouraged from creating an account for now. More information can be found here, including a video from Matt Cutts.

14. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ahhh, my bad, picked that up completely wrong.

I've come across a lot of issues with javascript errors causing the buttons not to appear and cross browser issues with buttons, but again I've never seen the numbers jump like that.

Is there any differences in how you're viewing the site when it occurs that might help show a trend? (in terms of browser/OS/logged in or out of google account/etc.)

The only obvious cause I can think of there is that it might be a canonical issue, but I'm assuming it's on a SEO related site so that probably isn't the case here. It's quite possible that it is a glitch on Google's end as they tweak the implementation (I'd imagine the uptake of Google+ users is having a dramatic impact on the volume of +1's), but I haven't been keeping an eye on the forums and I'm not aware if it has surfaced before.

15. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There's no denying it but on the large scale Google is what most people use other than anything

16. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you there. Yahoo! is not far behind though.

17. fashion-girls

fashion-girls
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google+1 is not perfect at present

18. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I not sure what's going wrong, Im using google chrome and FF, it show the same number with both browser. By the way, i use safari too if i online with my phone, the +1 button not showing at all. I also noticed that it take long time to load the plus button when i using FF (still gotta wait about 5 seconds after all the page content and ads display).

However, the number up and down still happen everyday, not sure what's going on, might consider to remove the +1 Button from my website.

19. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, so if I +1 a certain site/post, it will show up on Google+?

20. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah. Go to your profile. It'll be the right-most link right under your name.