Promoting Facebook business page for local business?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Ascendant, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Ascendant

Ascendant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I created a Facebook business page recently in order to generate some local personal training business while I pursue a college degree. My issue currently is finding ways to network locally with businesses and individuals through that page. Here are my current issues:

1. Due to Facebook's spam policy on top of the fact that you can't message others from a business page, the option of contacting locals interested in my field seems to be out.

2. I could "like" local business pages in hopes that they would do the same in turn, but that just doesn't seem like it would be very effective.

3. A lot of information I've read about on the net in regards to networking on Facebook instructs you to connect with groups with similar interests on Facebook. Now I'm not sure if that information is simply outdated or if I'm missing something here, but I do not have the option to search for groups through my Facebook business page. I can do it on my personal page of course, but not on the business page.

4. Even if I were able to connect to groups with interests in my field (fitness, exercise, etc.), there doesn't seem to be a way to filter results by both groups and location. Since I am only one individual looking to drum up local business, connecting with groups without being able to filter location seems like a moot objective.

My primary objective is just finding a way to connect with businesses and people locally who may be interested in my services. Whatever help you can give me in regards to being able to do so would be great.

2. Ken Peterson

Ken Peterson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Promoting Facebook business page for local business is a very nice idea. In web promotion it's called SMM. SMM stands for Social Media Marketing.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just want to make things clear: Is a Facebook business page different from a Fan Page?

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm. Probably yes. A Facebook Business page could be another term or call for an FB Business profile page that consists of contact numbers, emails, and other credentials of the business. While a fan page is a public profile page where the business could share their products, offers, and services online via FB with other FB users.

5. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is a Facebook business page? I was unable to find anything with that name. I guess it is the same Facebook page used for business purpose? If both are same then here are few things which you can try for promoting your page for your local business.

• Facebook Ads
    • Promoting on Local Business Pages
    • Asking Friends/Relatives to Promote

There are three simple ways which i think would be best for you for promoting your page and increasing it's usage.

1. Facebook Ads

One of the best way will be to advertise on Facebook it self so that it'll show up to all the related users who will be wishing to take interest in your page. You can use Facebook Ads from here - http://www.facebook.com/business/ads/. It's very simple to setup the ads and also you can target the visitors the way you want so you can increase people on your page.

Facebook Ads is a one of the best ways for promoting a page. Just, one of it's drawback is you'll require some investment on it but it is surely worth it.

2. Promoting one Local Business Pages

Another way can be you can promote your page on related pages which are there or you can promote your page to pages which are their in your area. Suppose, you're in X city then you can promote you're page to pages related to X cities which will bring more and more targeted FB users to your page. It is actually a good way to get more users to your page but you'll require put some time promoting your page.

3. Asking Friends/Relatives to Promote

You can ask your friends and relatives to promote your page to their friends on Facebook which will be a good promotion of your page. Another thing you can do is setup a Share Box, so when anyone likes your page he/she will be presented a box to share your page with their friends which will again be natural promotion for your page.

Also, have you tried any other ways except Facebook for promoting your local business? You can try some classified sites if that can help. Also if you can provide more details about type of your business then we'd be able to help you in better ways.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ascendant

Ascendant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They are identical. The process for creating the pages are labeled as "Facebook for business". It can be used for personal business, celebrities, or anything in between. I believe depending on which type of page you choose, there are slightly different setups as far as what information is displayed. Other than that, they seem to all have the same restrictions.

7. Doblo7

Doblo7
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You may be better off with Google+ or Linked in rather than Facebook as those two are both more business orientated than Facebook is. Facebook is really a social media site and an awful lot of people spend an awful lot of time & money trying to promote themselves & their businesses there without any great effect. Hope you business goes well though.

8. Ascendant

Ascendant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@ Sahil: For starters, thanks for the information. As my original post stated the work is for personal training, as in physical fitness training. I have included a link to my page in my signature to provide more information. My primary goal is to just get myself connected with the locals and get a steady and stable client base in the area.

I have additionally submitted my business information to multiple search engines as well as other popular business listings (yellow pages, etc.). I have all of those listings going to my page as well, and I'm keeping the information very consistent to try to bump myself up on searches. I had tried listing myself on classifieds (Craigslist in particular), but after doing so for about 3 months, I only had one single person call me. Since that person was looking for a really cheap deal as most Craigslist shoppers do, they weren't even available to afford a price to make it worth me driving to them.

My industry has been hit very hard because of the economy, hence why I'm trying to branch out of the typical health club scenarios I traditionally worked through. I know I'll have to be very aggressive with my marketing and do everything possible to try to get myself out there. Just trying to see what my options are here.

Oh and before someone asks, making a website isn't an option for me. I don't have the money to pay someone and don't have the expertise in regards to SEO and getting yourself bumped up on the search engines to make it a viable option for me. As it is, I am having a hard time even getting myself to show up on google maps at this point.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you by chance have a blog? Have you already posted a Facebook"like widget" on your own blog to let your visitors know that you have a Business Page?

10. Ascendant

Ascendant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't put together a blog yet. It's something I considered, but at the same time I figured there's not much point in putting together a blog if I don't have prospects to direct to it yet. I also don't really have the time right now to put together frequent information for a blog. Facebook wall posts with tid-bits of information and links to research in my field just seemed more sensible to me at this time. Do you think it would be easier to draw people to a blog or were you just making sure I was linking any other internet resources that I currently have?

11. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is an advantage for you, Not all people use Facebook as an promotion on their business, social networking is a big help for us.

12. Mark.Sanchez

Mark.Sanchez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social media is the best platform to make famous your blog or any article you wrote on guest blog. otherwise it cannot create more traffic than search engine.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

14. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How are you planning to go about this? Wouldn't you be limited to the gym you and your clients have a membership with? If that were the case I'd find a way to get members from the gym to your Facebook page, where I would have videos/posts that would increase my reputation as a personal trainer and make them want to train with me. Capitalize on something that makes you unique and sets you apart from other personal trainers. I'd also probably invest $25 in buying 500 Facebook followers to make me look somewhat established before telling people to look me up on Facebook. Nothing is worse than seeing "2 likes" on a Facebook page that someone asks you to join.

15. Ascendant

Ascendant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you go to my page (url in my signature), it will answer most of your questions here. In short, I have my own equipment, so I don't need a gym to train them. I can additionally train them in a gym if they are already in one, so long as that gym allows me to do so as an independent contractor.

I do currently work in a gym and have been providing people at the facility with my url to like the page, but it's hit or miss. Many people are just very fickle with exercise and as such, they're even more fickle with even taking the time to visit the page. I mean statistically, 70% of the people who join a gym will quit within the first 45 days. Doing what I can with that, but it's a very slow process.

I have submitted myself for being listed on multiple search engines as well as business listings and used my Facebook link as my website. Hoping that will help drive people to it, but I also know it will take time to get bumped up on search results.

As far as capitalizing on making myself unique, I'm hoping as I add more and more content to the page, that alone will set me above the average trainer. Picking a "niche" in this market can be detrimental to you as it can cut off many people not interested in that particular niche. My page and business listings keep me diverse, offering the individuals many options in how they work with me.

As far as investing into Facebook followers, I didn't even know something like that exists. Where do you go to do something like that? As it is, I requested friends get onto my page and like it. I'm up to 35 people already without even really pushing it, but whatever else I can do to bring my numbers up would be great.

16. stellaandreapark

stellaandreapark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi! Question for those that have a Facebook Fan Page: Do you build a Facebook Business Page as well? What are the difference?

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A friend of mine has been using a FaceBook page to promote a personal training service here in Ireland, he works hard at it and it works very well for him. You can view his FaceBook page at http://www.facebook.com/Lifegym1

18. ilovedesign

ilovedesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you considered the possibility that facebook advertising is not the best way to go about your business, at least not with a business page? If you're only aiming for the local market, you can simply ask friends and professional relations within your network to spread the word about your company in their own pages. Since you don't need connectivity in a very wide scale a business page may be "overkill" and over complicating things.