Programming business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Old_Skool, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Old_Skool

Old_Skool
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello

Briefly - I dabbled in programming about 20yrs ago before taking a job with Intel where I worked my way up to a senior engineer doing hardware design and platform architecture. After 16yrs it became too stressful --- fast forward and I now do IT support for a school district (a LOT less money). However its a pleasant job and fairly stable.

I am now on a 6 month journey to relearn my programming skills ( C and then C++ ) ... at which point I can then start a 2 - 3 month phase to learn how to program iPhones - iPads - etc. So thats about 9 months of setup time over which I will probably spend about $1000 in equipment and books.

I see this mainly as a side business to possibly bring in some revenue via the App Store and or develop code for others (freelance). My current question is should I register as a business now or wait ? If I register now can any of my expenses be written off in some way ? Should I be concerned about locking down a biz name ?

I live in the US in Oregon.

Thanks for your help

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum Old_Skool, thanks for joining. What I would really advise you to do is have a chat with a local accountant. Perhaps you can have one recommended by a friend or relative. Most accountants will give a you a first consultation free and they will be able to look at your own specific circumstances and give you the most helpful information possible.

Is that something that could work for you?