Profitable, effective and reliable countries to export from?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by RIYADHALAWAMI, Jan 26, 2012.

1. RIYADHALAWAMI

RIYADHALAWAMI
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hope you're all having a promising day.

During the last few months I've read and heard from various reliable sources on the many profitable ventures gained by entrepreneurs exporting back to the USA or a European country, often after their vacation, that they have returned many a time to specialize in a particular (range of) products.

Having planned for several months now, a few good ideas have been researched and by further networking a few extra good ideas have been added.

Is it all really that simple? What primary skills do I need to develop before boarding the plane?
    For those with experience, which countries are 'the best' for start-ups with a near-guaranteed profit or at minimum some form of substantial gain so to cover travel costs sufficiently? What GROUP of products appeal to people so as to clear inventory fairly quickly?

Glad to have found this site and I appreciate all of your helpful responses to these preliminary questions.

Riyadh Alawami.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What country are you based in Riyadh?

Just to clarify, are you looking for suggestions as to the best countries to export to?

Are you involved in any particular industry or product range that you are planning to export?

3. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hm..all depends on your product...export markets are open today so you should gather the information about the demand to your product. And only then make the final decision. This is a common advice but it is right.

4. RIYADHALAWAMI

RIYADHALAWAMI
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I've been concentrating on areas of demand. With the abundance of cultural items still in need of supply within the UK and cross-family relations who require these imports, there is at least an initial market.

What is the best method to communicate and sell to customers interested in Arts and Artifacts sourced from, say, Africa or SE Asia?

#4 RIYADHALAWAMI, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  5. RIYADHALAWAMI

RIYADHALAWAMI
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello.

First of all, thank you for the response.

I am currently based in the UK and building associations in the Middle East and North Africa. Products range from Organic food sources to textiles, Arts and cultural items.

Yes, but there is no specific specialization for a range of products at this time. Travels that I will take in the next month will determine that. So far the best candidates are countries in North Africa and South East Asia for certain products.

I appreciate your advice.

6. moveon

moveon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your products determine where you shall source from. Most countries are okay to deal with. However there are regions where you should be extra careful because of unscrupulous traders. There are ways and means for that. For now focus on your customer and your product.
    Is your target market a premium customer. If so work with entities that provide you the highest quality and charge you a premium also.
    If your target market is budget conscious you need to work accordingly.

It isn't enough to use the word textiles. Is it household linen, woven garments, knitted garments, etc.

For cultural items you are moving in the right direction. There is a fascination in the west for products from exotic places. Just focus down a little bit. I think you have the big picture, now find the small pieces.
    Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RIYADHALAWAMI

RIYADHALAWAMI
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I appreciate your useful response.

Target market is mainly friend connections and recommendations passed on by word-of-mouth.
    Mentor will travel to main cities for showcasing product range to her former clients and interested friends.
    After our meeting, and due to many a years experience, we concluded that there is a great demand for lightweight and relatively higher-priced items such as artistically woven table-cloths, curtains and art pieces (etc.).

By focusing down do you mean that I should concentrate on one range of products
    or should I more sensibly, as a first time, diversify within the range of demanded
    imports?

Just to add: I am on an initial funding with potential to expand my inventory
    depending on how the products perform.

#7 RIYADHALAWAMI, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  8. moveon

moveon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I see that you're products are essentially for a high end market. " relatively higher-priced items such as artistically woven table-cloths, curtains and art pieces (etc.)."
    This makes things clearer.

This product range allows you to position yourself as a supplier of art/decoration/exotic imported products from over the world. (Just my interpretation.) With this in mind you can include relevant textiles, or other products. This does exclude consumer, high volume garment business.
    So, if you are into the high end market for artistic products you are already into a niche market. I would say select a few categories that you are more confident or comfortable with. First do those then expand the business.
    To my mind you can do special table cloths, curtains, decorations etc. all at the same time. In this case your customer is a certain type. Focusing on the customer helps you focus on the product.
    It is a balancing act. But you really do need to define your value proposition to the client. You can always change individual items and products within the range as you see results.
    Is this helpful?

9. RIYADHALAWAMI

RIYADHALAWAMI
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, great info. Thanks.

So far my value proposition is to provide excellent quality, authentic products at a reasonable price and a good speed. Would this be good to start with? I can expand to include cheaper bundles, more esoteric products and so forth when my customer base expands and a (statistical) conclusion on favorite product ranges.

10. sallya121

sallya121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It just depends on the product you want to do ,then you can choose which country is best for export from .China or other asian countries are good for you to choose ,It is a big manufacturing market.

11. moveon

moveon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, this is the way to go.
    I would definitely recommend trying different price points on various products. You might want to charge a premium on say 'a particular table linen from country X.'
    You should also have the 'reasonable prices' for other products that are commonly available.
    This approach might make your statistical analysis even better.
    Your approach to cheaper bundles should be done with care, please understand I am not discounting the idea. It seems good. Just don't confuse your customers initially.
    Overall, I'd say you seem good. If you want my two cents, write any time.
    Glad to be of help.

• Like Like x 1