Problem with landing page

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Avni Shergill, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Avni Shergill

Avni Shergill
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I need help from SEO experts:-

The landing page of my targeting keyword is fluctuating, please tell me the reason. I am working on a keyword with the URL with is different from its landing page.

I would like to explain this with an example:-

Keyword:- xyz
    Targeted URL:- xyz.com
    Landing page:- xyz.com/index

2. graceatkin

graceatkin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here are few suggestions which will help you to find the problem.

-Write compelling content and headlines for the product/services
    -Create Call to action more clear and appealing
    -Asking too much information is harder to take action
    -Properly optimized for mobile devices
    -Eye on Bounce Rate
    -Decrease page load time

3. ketusoftware

ketusoftware
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suggest you do a website anaylsis, clear the error, and work on the modifications required for onpage and off page optimisation....it should work

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Although both graceatkins and ketusoftware have both given you good advice for making sure your website is both visitor and search engine friendly, I cannot help but be reminded of an acronym I learned in college - KISS. Depending on the reason for using the acronym, it can stand for one of two things - "Keep It Short and Simple", or "Keep It Simple, Stupid". In this case, you actually specified the error you wish to correct, so every step graceatkins suggested in unnecessary to fix this particular problem. Ketusoftware's suggestion to do a website analysis is also unnecessary, since you already know the problem you want to fix. However, if you fix this particular problem, and it still doesn't help, you can do a more detailed analysis, but do NOT change the website back the way it was.
    Basically, when your software created the page, it automatically gives it the name "index.html", resulting in a created page with the url "xyz.com/index.html". However the search engines recognize your homepage as "xyz.com", resulting in two apparent pages that have exactly the same content. You need to tell the search engines that "xyz.com" and "xyz.com/index.html" are the same page. You do this by using a canonical URL.

In the "<head>" part of your source code, add the line "<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.xyz.com"/>. This will tell the search engines that both URLs actually refer to the same page.

5. SConsultant

SConsultant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try a talkative landing page name - differ from index.html - like keyword.html
    If you have .htaccess you can set the default main site page for yourself - different than index.php or index.html. Maintain redirections if necessary - when you are absolutely aware how it works and know the consequences.
    I would build a page - with unique content - for xyz.html optimized for xyz keyword (and linked from index.html with xyz anchor text).

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

If he gives his page a different name, he will still have the same problem - Google will think that xyz.com/keyword.html and xyz.com are two separate pages, when they are actually two ways of referring to the same page. Also, could you explain how creating a separate page, and linking to it from index.html would help the rankings for xyz.com. I'm not sure what your rationale is for this. If I understand correctly, I do like your idea of using .htaccess to specify xyz.com as the default name for the actual page, rather than xyz.com/index.html. As you said, though, you have to be knowledgeable enough to know what you are doing.