Prices on Website...Good Idea or Not?

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by LindseyInteract, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LindseyInteract

LindseyInteract
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We are currently trying to figure out rather or not we want to post our prices on our website in the individual packages that we offer, or is it better to leave the prices off the website and have the prospects contact us for pricing.

We can see the Pluses and Minuses in both approaches, so we want to get the general feedback from others.

We are an internet marketing company, so we offer services such as SEO Packages, Local SEO Packages, Content Writing, Content Management, etc. These services are currently listed on our website with their pricing information, but we are not 100% sure if this is the right thing to do.

Please weigh in with your thoughts on which to do and WHY you feel the way you do. Thanks in advance you are really helping us out by providing this valuable feedback.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

We recently switched to custom campaigns, because SEO has changed so much that packages were no longer feasible. With packages we were forced to charge the same price to every client no matter how much on-page optimization they actually needed. We also had to make sure the average number of links matched the number of links offered in the package, even though the actual number of links varied from month to month. Having said that, in seven years we successfully helped thousands of clients reach their potential clients or customers. Except for on-page optimization, we did not have individual services separate from the packages, as we believe it is detrimental to get different services from different providers, or even let the client take care of some things while we take care of others, because it would lead to a "the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing" type of situation.
    When we were selling packages, we always included the package price on the website. Yes, there are some who think all SEO providers are the same, so they shop by price, we also provide contact information on the website, so they can contact the company to find out what differentiates us from the "fakers, phonies and frauds" that have been selling what they claim are professional SEO services for years. Basically, when a situation arises where someone has a lower price, we can tell them what makes our services worth more, even if the other firm is a legitimate competitor.
    There were sometimes situations where a potential client didn't have quite enough for a package, so we adjusted the services to provide something the client could afford. You could do something similar. Keep the prices on the website, but add a short sentence that reads, "Contact Us For Custom Pricing" or something to indicate that you can adjust the services and pricing if necessary.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LindseyInteract

LindseyInteract
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This makes perfect sense(I actually remember seeing your company ThinkBigSites, Inc, while doing market research).

Now, my thing is the following two thing.

1) What about competitors conducting market research to figure out price point options and advantages.
    2) Does putting the price on the website "Deter" someone from contacting you and allowing you to "Sell" them when needed. What I mean by this is if they see a price they automatically say, "Oh that is too high" and don't call and you get ZERO chance to sell them. Where as if it wasn't there, they call and get pricing, even if at that point they say it is too high you can at least TRY to sell them the reason why to go with you.

#3 LindseyInteract, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

First you misspelled "sense", so I fixed it for you. Now, on to your two points.
    1) Companies conduct market research all the time. You did it, and we do it too. It's probably one of the reasons we changed to custom-designed campaigns, and I'll bet our prices influenced yours. Your main focus is, or should be, giving your clients the best service possible. If you can do that and charge a lower price than your competitors, by all means, feel free to do so. But don't get into a "price war", or at least charge a lower price, if the level of service suffers as a result. You don't want to oversell and under-deliver - there are way too many in our business who already do that. The opposite is a much better position.
    2) When you sell a "package", having a price gives the potential client a better idea of how much the service should cost, and whether they should pursue it further. If they find that most firms are charging much more than they thought, they can go "back to the drawing board" and re-think how much they have budgeted for website marketing. If the prices are mostly within their budget, they can now go further to find out why one cost is different from another. Without pricing, if they don't have a realistic budget, they waste their time calling marketing firms, who then waste their time explaining their services to someone who can't afford it. Do you really want to try to sell a Gold package to someone who only has a budget of $700? You probably can do something between a Bronze and Silver(we used to do that ourselves), but what if they only had $500 - or had no idea how much SEO should cost? You could spend a lot of time explaining the benefit of your services, only to lose a sale you were never going to get anyway.

5. LindseyInteract

LindseyInteract
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you so much for the information and conversation, it really helps alot, thank you again.

6. MarkHache

MarkHache
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Consider moving to a retainer model, where the client's budget remains a fixed number but you are free to vary services on a monthly basis to give the client the best chances of success. SEO (really digital marketing) is about agility now, and "selling" people blog posts, or links, sets the wrong tone for the engagement. They're coming to you for results, so set the budget, agree on priorities, and keep them happy.

Obviously you will pitch them on the "ideal" budget amount, and then settle on where they can meet you.

I know this is much easier said than done (been there - adoption is difficult, both for your operational and sales models) but if you can start bringing on a few clients this way, they may turn out to be your longest-tenured over time. Just a thought.

7. LindseyInteract

LindseyInteract
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your input, I greatly appreciate it. May I ask what type of experience you have in the industry? How long have you worked in the industry and what type of experience do you have with it?

8. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi I can see pros and cons to both sides. In order to attract customers and speed up lead generation, could you offer a basic, low-cost package with prices posted? Then let people know that for specialized or custom services that free quotes are available?

For some people, if they see the prices it could get them to contact you for a job. Whereas, if there are no prices listed, they don't want to bother and move on. An attractive price could get people to act quickly. But I would make sure to make any disclaimers known so people don't try to get a deluxe job for a bargain price. ;-)

9. sunoy14

sunoy14
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I usually move on when I don't see the pricings. I think it would be a good idea to have the pricings displayed on the website as well as give a contact for making deal calls.

10. webdesignphx

webdesignphx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think with an internet marketing company prices are fine. My only suggestion is to put Prices Starting At. Then you can explain to the customer that the prices start there and go up.

11. Melissa Feeney

Melissa Feeney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with the points mentioned by you, if we mention the price itself in the website, and if the client approaches you by seeing that price then it can either lead to profit o loss. Most of the time you will be in loss, as you don't know, what level of efforts you need to do. Continuing your example, some websites will be that requires On-page to be changed completely, here you may come across loss if the level of efforts need to be taken is more as compared to the package you are getting in front of that.

So, I will suggest you to not mention the price list in your website, and depending on the requirements you come across you can charge the price different prices to different customers.

12. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This is one reason why we moved to custom campaigns. As you noted, some may need more on-page optimization than others, while another may need different types of off-page work. This is why we thoroughly examine their website and current marketing efforts before giving them a comprehensive marketing proposal. LindseyInteract offers packages, however, so knowing what they get in a package, in addition to the price, will allow a potential client to determine whether or not the packages are worth purchasing.

We do have a minimum charge for our SEO packages, and specify for our web design services that for each type of website "prices start at", and give them a total price for their particular needs in a design proposal. You're right about there being nothing wrong with specifying prices for specific services, and I also suggested to LindseyInteract that he could add something about contacting the company for custom pricing.

13. MarkHache

MarkHache
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Lindsey - sorry for the delay in getting back to your questions. I was brought in to fix sales operations for a digital marketing firm a few years back - and at the time the department was struggling with these same kinds of issues, in addition to others. From there I moved on to the services end of the business - R&D, testing, customer experience, etc. I'd like to think I have a good handle on strategy as well, but we'll have to see if my posts here back up that claim! :)

More recently I've teamed up with a smaller team of SEO's, marketing strategists, and fellow entrepreneurs to offer due diligence services to prospective business buyers. thanks

14. paulsimmons

paulsimmons
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are offering competitive price then mention them on website. If prices are high as compare to competitors then let users to contact you so you can explain them proper why your prices are high.
    There is a third approach to this and that is mention prices of small packages and when to comes to enterprise level package, don't mention their price, let customers to contact for the price.

15. LindseyInteract

LindseyInteract
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Everyone, thank you so much for replying back to me, I really appreciate it.

This issue is something that really bugs me and I just CAN'T get a handle on it to save my life, I keep going back and fourth and feel like i am in an Identity crisis lol.

16. Mallon90

Mallon90
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it's better. Because customers can have a quick glimpse at how much they have to pay, and that helps them make decision quicker. However, of course the prices may be higher or lower compared to other companies, you can make the first impression to customers about your company. In addition, I would suggest that you should add a detail like: online prices negotiable.

#16 Mallon90, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  17. atlantisrocks

atlantisrocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree that "Starting at..." pricing might be most appropriate since you do not know up front the effort required. Indicate that this if for site evaluation and minor improvements. You might also include an "Average" cost of each service to avoid sticker shock after evaluating the actual amount of effort involved.

18. penman

penman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a running business and I tell you: If you have good prices LET THEM KNOW!!! I almost never get in touch with a company if I don't find a price.

19. nidhisharma091

nidhisharma091
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello sir,

Prices on sites is very get as anyone can get idea whether he/she should go of it or not.whenever we open site,first of all we look price so that we can have an idea is it our under budget or not.

Thanks

20. Ward Weaver

Ward Weaver
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don’t think price matters if the quality is there because 70-80% people are attractive to quality and if they are able to afford it then they never look at the price so that’s what I feel while everyone has their own opinion and many don’t have too high budget so in such scenario one has to be really careful of what he selects as it’s not easy to afford these kind of stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.