Preparation for learning PHP - easiest programming language to learn

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've been trying to learn PHP recently and have come to a bit of a roadblock. Although I have some knowledge of HTML & CSS I'm new to programming and I don't understand the basic terms such as arguments, operators, etc.

I feel that if I could learn a basic programming language that it is really easy for beginners to get the hang of, that it would give me an overall understanding of programming and hence make it a lot easier to learn PHP.

Is that a logical approach?

If so which programming language would be the easiest for a non-programmer to learn? I've been thinking of maybe JavaScript, SQL or Python - but I have no knowledge of any of those languages and have no preference at this time.

Thanks for your help!

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

most of the programmer probably will recommend python as its a lose-tight programming language, meaning its not so strict when it comes to its code. in every php syntax, you need to end it with semicolon but in python, you need not to but you can add. so with or without semicolon in the end of syntax, it will work with python.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I don't really know which is best, but one of my friends is a programmer and coder and this is the order he recommended I learn these languages and that is what I have been doing. HTML-CSS-JavaScript-JQuery-Ajx-PHP. I don't particularly know why and I know that there isn't any way you have to go, but I just went with it because he is a good coder and I trust him. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if you learn one programming language, it would be easy for you to learn other else. I started learning bash scripting since i was taught by a friend to learn command line interface in linux machine. bash scripting is easy because its just line by line commands putted in a script and from there i learned that some programming language works that way too like python.

but probably in web programming, html is way to go after all all pages on the internet are html.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback Matt and ownedbox. I'm going to struggle with PHP a little longer and see how I get on with it. If I don't make good progress with that I will take ownedbox's advice and learn Python, so that I get a better understanding of programming concepts. I did some searching online last night and there are great Python resources and tutorials for complete beginners. The PHP resources and tutorials seem to assume that the reader has a bit more technical knowledge.