Premade templates or custom designs?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Norrad, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Norrad

Norrad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are like me, you probably get an idea for a new site every few days. Unfortunately, without a spare set of hands your time is very limited. Do you rely on premade templates for your sites, or do you use custom designs? I usually start most of my sites with a freebie template while I work on a custom design when I have time, how about you?

2. Superbs

Superbs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ditto, due to lack of time most of the people opt for free themes, although i always prefer a custom theme( i prefer to do them myself than pay for it) or i usually modify the free themes available. i always want my sites to look unique and that's obviously not possible using free themes at this time a little creativity with free theme helps :)

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I like using premade templates with some customization to make them unique and to give the site it's own brand image. Business Advice Forum uses a premade theme, with just a little customization. However I plan on customizing it further, with the addition of a new header design in the near future.

4. Norrad

Norrad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But don't you find that the coding style on most free themes often causes more problems when you modify it?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unfortunately it does, and like most things it's never as simple as you expect it to be. Things do go wrong and you need to have at least some coding knowledge so that you can fix them. As you get to learn and understand your own site structure you can avoid more of these problems and when they do occur you learn to find the cause of the problem and fix it much quicker.

6. Superbs

Superbs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At such times a little bit of php and css basic knowledge helps.