PPC Campaign

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by saniathomas, Apr 25, 2011.

1. saniathomas

saniathomas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have started learning PPC. I have created one Campaign and the problem I m facing is that some of its keywords it is showing as negative keywords and no Average position for them. Can anybody help me in designing a PPC Ads to get maximum clicks and how to choose keywords in a Ad Group.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

saniathomas would you mind sharing the keywords and ad that you are currently using? We will be able to offer you more help, if you can.

3. saniathomas

saniathomas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Campaign is for UK. The Keywords are marble, Natural marble, colored marbles etc. but for keyword "Marbles" it is showing keyword relevance poor and quality score 3/10 average position is 1.8. while for "colored marbles" Keyword relevance is Good but quality score is 7/10 with no Average position. Why is it so ? Not able to understand

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Perhaps because people who are searching for "Marbles" are searching for the glass marbles that kids play with?

You might find the two threads linked to below helpful;

Keyword Lists - How to write a Keyword List for your Site
    What tools do you use for keyword selection?

5. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure I understand exactly what's happening here.

You mention negative keywords, but then go on to say that the issue is with low QS and lack of impressions.

Just to clarify, a negative keyword is something that stops your ad from showing. So if you use "coloured marbles" (note that the use of "'s implies that you're using the phrase match option) as your keyword but have 'free' as a negative keyword then your ad will show for a search for "super coloured marbles" but not for "free coloured marbles".

Assuming that you didn't literally mean 'negative' keywords and simply meant poorly performing keywords, there could be a variety of reasons for this. If your QS for "Marbles" is 3/10, you really need to improve this if it's a relevant KW. You'll be paying a far higher price for it than is required with a QS that low. As for the lack of avg position, have you gotten enough impressions for an average to be given? You mentioned that the campaign is for the UK, so worth mentioning that the correct spelling of "colored" is "coloured". Depending on your demographic settings, the term "colored marbles" might simply not be a relevant term for your target market? (I haven't looked at the stats, but even if it is a common term you might simply have to give it a little more time to get impressions... or increase your max CPC bid in order to rank higher).

Have you broken your ad groups into tightly themed and closely related groups? Have you tweaked your ad copy/titles/url's to match the target KWs? Have you got landing pages optimised for the target terms and with all of the normal requirements (privacy statement, contact address, transparent information, etc.)?

Spend a little time split testing various ads/display URLs/landing pages and see what works best for you. Each time you make a change, monitor the results closely and apply the leasons learned to your future campaigns. Once you keep a close eye on your QS, bounce rates and conversion rates, you'll soon be in a position to optimise with strong data to back up the decisions.

6. saniathomas

saniathomas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks for explaining the things details quite informative, Earlier i mentioned "negative Keyword" that was the case with the keyword "Indian Marbles" that i got because the campaign is for UK may be that is why it is showing it as "Negative Keyword". Again thank you explained everything in a nice manner. Now for few keywords it is not showing the average position even their status is eligible and keyword relevance is also "no problem". It would great if can help me in that also.

7. softwaretraining

softwaretraining
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, I want to learn PPC. But i dont know how to learn. Can any body help me regarding this?

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The Google AdWords Certification Programme Learning Centre would be a great place to start, there's a huge amount of quality free content there.

9. Jessyjohns

Jessyjohns
    uix_expand uix_collapse

10. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmmm, that shouldn't be the case. In terms of your keywords the semantic meaning (e.g. the 'Indian' reference as a location) isn't a factor. Users in the UK could easily search for locational information for a foreign country and your ad should appear. Check your account settings for what negative keywords you have applied to your campaigns. It sounds like you've some unintended filters being applied without your knowledge.

There isn't enough information given to be able to identify exactly what's happening there. Are the ads generating impressions? Are the ads/relevant campaigns active? Is there sufficient budget to meet the costs? etc. etc..

They give very detailed feedback on problems with campaigns (they do want your money after all), so digging through your account you should be able to identify the problem. As mentioned earlier, I'd assume it's simply that the ads have no impressions yet for an avg position to be given, but no impressions can be caused by a variety of factors so not an easy one to diagnose remotely.

11. saniathomas

saniathomas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your reply.. started getting impressions.