Powerful PR for Small Businesses

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Fergal, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've often been very impressed with how very small businesses can get excellent free press coverage in national newspapers, through the effective and clever use of PR.

A recent Irish example of this came from Puddle Ducks. This small family business resells waterproof clothing. Their range is mostly for children but they also sell adult clothes. Their business is mostly web based.

On Friday last they were featured prominently on the front page of the Irish Times, which is a major Irish national newspaper. Unfortunately we are having a very wet summer in Ireland and this very small business used this to their advantage. They created a press release accompanied by an excellent photo showing a small child playing in the rain, in Puddle Ducks clothing.

You can view details of how this small company achieved this public relations success, without a direct financial cost here on the Puddle Ducks Blog.

Have you ever considered clever angles to get free publicity for your small business?

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow, Puddleducks have taken advantage of a totally bad situation – bad weather on rainy days, to market their waterproof clothing. The timing is just perfect and they couldn’t have picked a better time than this rainy days in Ireland.

In Singapore, what angle can small businesses use to get free press releases in the local newpapers? It doesn’t rain much here and if it does, it will only be for 1-2 hours. There’s no earthquakes, no traffic (not that bad anyway) and no pollution. Maybe small businesses can take advantage of the fact that Singapore has just won it’s first medal in the Olympics in 48 years. Congratulations by the way to our Singapore paddlers for winning silver in the women’s team table tennis event.

3. bojomojo

bojomojo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They acted so smart I have to say.
    Actually you have to put in your mind that, the press wants your story, you just have to know what to give them.

BuddleDucks sell waterproof closing, are they the only ones who do? NO. Are they the biggest? NO. But what made them hit the Press? I have to say the head title they used, and the picture.

Lets think of it that way: There are 2 companies, both make cookies, the 2 of them send out PRs with headlines, "Delecious cookies" and a picture of the delecious cookies, and the other one: "Cookies made people HYPER" and a picture of a guy working with a cookie in his mouth while all other people are tired.
    Not a very good metafor i know, but it should deliver what I mean.

What I mean is, Press doesnt want new businesses, they want new stories, as you can see bubbleducks knew how to deliver thier story although they have alot of bigger competitions, because they offered what will attract the people.

Lets consider this forum for example, gain some extra traffic, and send out a PR with a heading like "Get paid to be a businessman", that should do something.

Also there are alot of other ways to get into the Press, some places, like the american chronicle, are always in need of writers - this thing works best for online businesses - you can go apply there, and when you get accepted post your article about your business, even google takes some pieces of news from there to publish on your blog, so now you have the publicity free of charge :)

Its not how big you are, but its how smart you can get, most of what I say was summerized in BuddleDucks blog, here is a quote:
    That is the point i discussed above.

Then some pieces of advice that explain themselves:

4. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well having good marketing strategies is not enough for success. The way you implement those strategies matter most. Public relation is very much an important marketing stunt for small business. It always focus on publicity but apart from that it also need community participation, relationships with media and local reporter.

Puddle ducks used it at their best as the most important things for pr is timely communication that convey the right message to right audience. As i have always stressed on identifying your target customers. Puddle ducks hit the nail at the right time and got benefit from it.

5. bojomojo

bojomojo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you, buddleducks did it at the best time, Also that you need to have good relations with the local press, but buddleducks didnt use that, that emphasises the importance of the mentioned tips, they got them listed because of the smart way they expressed themselves. You can sometimes use your relations to get an article written or so, but if its not interesting most people will not read it. So the PR itself is the main issue here.

6. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How many of you have watched movies hancock. It illusrates good example of pr..

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I saw the movie Deepak, what PR lessons do you think small businesses could learn from that movie?

8. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In that movie the person was a pr expert,i dont know the name of actor...but the way he uplift hancock image in public was superb..