Position in Search Result

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by LittleCloud, Oct 28, 2010.

1. LittleCloud

LittleCloud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What determine the position in search result? PR? I am confused.

2. ComJan

ComJan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Position is search result depends on many factors, content, links into your site, age of your site, speed of your site, etc... Also some results differ based on the user of the search engines location

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

LittleCloud, welcome to our business forum. If you are just starting out learning SEO you might find Google's SEO Starter Guide (PDF download) very helpful.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's good to read the ebook that Fergal linked to.
    But is you ask me from my experience, I think it's SEO and the the relevancy of keywords. Don't forget quality backlinks leading to your site.

6. Lucky_Dad

Lucky_Dad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Competition on keywords is an important factor as well especially when just starting out. Start with keywords that have less competition but a decent amount of people searching for them. The google adsense tool is good for researching keywords.

7. downjacketseller

downjacketseller
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As a rookie here, I have no idea about this!

8. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Both of these posts make very good points, in fact, ComJan mentioned something I haven't seen very often. Because the search engines are getting smarter, they can now tell where you are, and give you results based on your location. For instance, I am locasted in the US, in Texas, so if I were looking for auto parts, the results I get would not list auto parts sellers in Iowa.
    If you decide to take Fergal's and GekiDan's advice and try your hand at SEO, I would also keep in mind what Lucky_Dad mentioned. Try to get ranked for phrases that will bring you visitors, but are not so competitive that you would go bankrupt trying to get ranked. As your business grows, then you can go after the more competitive keywords.