Popular Blogs don't Pay Minimum Wage to their Owners!

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I was surprised to read the quote below in a WSJ article by Chris Anderson - The Economic of Giving it Away;

My opinion has always been that a quality blog is a good revenue source and an excellent means to build profile and publicity in your industry.

Do you agree that a popular blog will not pay you "even minimum wage"?

On another note, anyone with an online business model, based on giving something free from their website should find this article very useful.

2. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also run a blog.. though can not be listed under the popular category...But the so far experience had been very col..people will come to your blog to read or get some sort of information not for clicking google adds....
    So to some extent I believe the truth in the statement given by Chris Anderson...

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it sounds more like sour grapes than anything else on his part that he's not be able to achieve it when plenty of others have. He says he's talking from experience of having a popular blog, but I've never heard of him.

A perfect example here. Darren Rowse of ProBlogger fame has just been featured on the official Google Adsense Blog with the first ever Guest Blog post. Look at this and you'll see that what Anderson states as fact in the quote above simply isn't true. As Darren says when discussing Adsense:

http://adsense.blogspot.com/2009/02/six-ways-to-experiment-with-adsense-and.html

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing that Kay, it's great to get another point of view. It just go to show that experts differ and you shouldn't take the word of an expert as Gospel truth. I hope Anderson's advice doesn't deter anyone from setting up their own blog.

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As said
    My experience, examples given by Kay & Fergal & in the end conclusion given by Fergal that experts may differ & we should not take anything for granted jut because they are word of wisdom from an expert...
    It is the way how you perceive & therefore everything should be given try atleast once without which nothing should be deduce as a fact because you are the only person who can make that things possible or impossible.... !!!:D

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're welcome. :) I'd listen to Darren Rowse before anyone when it comes to blogging, actually. Mainly because he always comes across as a very approachable guy that's not let his success go to his head. He's the one I mentioned before on BAF that was setting up Twitip to help people use Twitter better.

Hey, I like that thought process, scifi! Experience is the best teacher in the world, no doubt about it. :)

7. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although I don't necessarily agree that blogging does not pay minimum wage, it is nice to see. There are so many articles, blogs, and new stories about doctors quitting their job to blog, people making a thousand dollars a month blogging, etc. It is possible to make good money via Adsense (or other monetization methods), but for the average person it is just not going to happen. I run Adsense on my blogs, and I can say that if I just totaled up my Adsense earnings it would just equal minimum wage. However, you also have to calculate all of the leads I've gotten, the networking that blogs have given me, the paid writing contracts I have gotten, etc. So for me, blogging has paid more then minimum wage, but it is a steep learning curve.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with us Flash.

This thread started by Kay echoes a lot of the indirect benefits you have mentioned.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the main thing is that you get out of it what you put in, simple as that. If you let it gather dust, you can't expect to make money with it. If you go all out to promote it and make sure it's chock full of great content, then it's fair to expect a decent return on that. The biggest investment needed for a blog to succeed is the one that costs nothing - your time. Only you can decide how much you're willing to devote to its success.