Pop Up Shops - what are your experiences?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by MarkTaylor, Sep 11, 2013.

1. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Everyone,

I have some colleagues in Glasgow looking to try out pop-up shops... Despite the apparent availability of vacant retail property, we are struggling to find landlords willing to agree to short leases, etc.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or know of any online resources that might be helpful?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Mark.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I checked online, and couldn't find anything specific for Glasgow or Scotland, but I did find this:

"Non-traditional premises can be a lure to potential customers. A disused warehouse, street trading or office premises may be an option for a pop-up business. Check with your local council about operating a business within particular premises on a short term basis."

As far as finding a location, the website said this:

"You should contact local commercial agents to discuss your plan. Agents can be key brokers in persuading reluctant landlords to let their premises for the short term. Talking through your idea can allay any fears, and if you hope to build a more permanent business if your pop-up shop is a success, this may be an opportunity for a future long term let. "

More information can be found here:

http://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/content/find-right-premises-pop-shop

3. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fantastic, thanks Joe... It has been quite difficult to find anything specific to Glasgow / Scotland. But somebody mentioned this in passing last week and it looks promising... http://somewhereto.com/regions - thanks again for your help.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Mark, have you or your colleagues considered putting a classified ad in your local newspaper with your requirements? Suitable property owners could well see it and get in touch with you if they have something available.

On another thought, would a temporary stand in a shopping centre suit your requirements?

5. achievedisplay

achievedisplay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    I would also consider talking to a local real estate expert or broker to see which properties were on the market for the longest. Owners of a potential retail location that has been vacant for a longer period of time may be more likely to agree to a shorter lease.

6. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

Sorry for the slow response, I had some connectivity problems and it's taken me a while to get everything sorted.

In a word, yes. We have looked at both of these options and have some promising leads to follow up on. Shopping centres have shown a surprising willingness to take on pop ups, provided they are good quality products and don't conflict with permanent tenants.

I'll keep you advised of progress.

M.

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

Yes, so far, this has drawn a blank. There seems to be a perception that short tenancies are not economical - I think there is some work to do on managing perceptions. Perhaps an enterprising tenant could sub-let to a range of pop-ups??? Thanks for your comments. M.