Polyphasic Sleep

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Polyphasic sleep in it's truest form is a sleep pattern with six, twenty minute naps, taken every four hours throughout the day. People use this sleep pattern claim that they can be very productive and have high energy levels, with only two hours sleep per day.

It should be noted that the potential health implications of this type of sleep pattern are not known with certainty and anyone experiencing sleep problems or adjusting their sleep pattern, should consult with a medical professional.

Recently I've reduced my night's sleep to between 6 and 6.5 hours per night, by taking a 20 minute nap every lunch time. My plan is to slowly reduce my night's sleep to 4.5 hours per night + two, 20 minute naps during the day.

What's your opinion on this type of sleep pattern?

Do you know anyone who has ever tried it?

2. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think I would be able to do that. :eyebrow:

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

To be honest I'm not sure how well I can either RestOwner. I have a busy day and I also do some walking and jogging most days. There have been some days recently when I've experienced a little light headedness and I feel it could be related to my new sleep pattern.

4. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should be careful Fergal. Many studies say sleep is very important for human health. People who tend to sleep less tend to get more sick than others.

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have just recently heard of this. Your mind apparently goes into REM (deep) sleep faster. I would be interested but I am not sure of the long term health risks.
    When I worked shift work, 2 weeks days 2 weeks nights, I got about 6-7 hours sleep on night shift and was fine, but the changeover was horrible. A disciplined person could get a lot done with only 2-4 hours sleep.
    I don't think I would personally try it, because of the potential health risks, but I am slow to trust (I don't trust Asprin yet.:))

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I usually sleep about 4 hours a night, occasionally sometimes 6-8 and then about once a month I'll crash for a long time, about 12 hours.

There's a really interesting informal trial that Steve Palina did on polyphasic sleep. He followed it for five and a half months and wrote about how he felt it was affecting him from day one onwards. If you want some real insight into the experience, it's worth reading.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you take any naps during the day? How is that working for you, do you have good energy levels?

8. Shole

Shole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't sleep at night but i sleep at the day about 6-8 hours :D

9. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been doing variations on this theme since 1966, with occasional period (from months to years) trying "normal" sleeping patterns.

For the past 15 years I've been pretty consistent: 4-6 hours at night (I rarely sleep in a bed these days -- I mostly sleep in an incredibly comfortable recliner chair) followed by 2-3 power naps during the day (typically around 9:30am-10:00am, 1:00pm-1:30pm and 4:30pm-5:00pm), then typically falling asleep around 8:00pm-8:30pm, then waking around 1:30am-2:30am.

All this is complicated by the fact that I have four progressive, degenerative health conditions (three of them neurological, inherited from my mother -- neurofibromatosis type 1, orthostatic intolerance syndrome and Asperger's Syndrome -- and spondylitis, inherited from my father). Spondylitis and OTS give me the most trouble because they affect my neck, spine and circulation. So mine isn't a "typical" situation.

In my late 20s-early 30s my typical work/sleep pattern was 3 days work without any sleep (including naps), then 2 days of sleep to catch up. Twice a year I'd be admitted to hospital for exhaustion -- I'd usually keel over and family or workmates would call for an ambulance, and the hospital matron and doctors (all close friends) would give me endless lectures for a couple of days. I'd be forced to sleep to avoid the hectoring!

Not smart. My current pattern suits me best, but that could be age, you know? :D

My immune system is the best it's ever been. My family (my adult kids and my grandchildren) have all succumbed to a really nasty gastric flu recently. It can't seem to take hold of me. I get early symptoms, then they vanish.

Is this interconnected? I have no idea, but I like to think so after more than a decade of catching everything that came along following a nasty bout of glandular fever, then chronic fatigue syndrome.

I guess some of us just don't learn, and are convinced that we're bullet-proof. :rolleyes:

John

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nope, not really. Maybe two or three naps a month at most, if that. And I only take those if I have a migraine or something. I don't do it as a habit.

I'm usually fine until mid afternoon when I have a bit of a slump for a few hours then I get a second wind. I use that time to do mundane tasks that don't need much concentration like filing things or general tidying of folders and such like. Really I should be dead on my feet because my diet's terrible and I live on coffee LOL but I'm not. I feel fine the majority of the time. :) I'm also a night owl and get much more done the later it is.

I am a very very heavy sleeper though and fall asleep within a minute or two of my head hitting the pillow. Whether my 4 hours of very deep sleep is equivalent to someone else's 6 or 8 hours, I don't know. Perhaps it's quality rather than quantity that matters.

For example a drunk driver once smashed into my car and totalled it right outside my ground floor bedroom window and I never heard a thing. My then upstairs neighbor--who was three floors above me--came banging on my door and woke me up because she'd heard it. I sleep like the dead and have always been like that since I was a kid.:)

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like you have found a system that works for you John, that really is a very early start in the morning, I'm sure you get up before some of your neighbours have gone to bed.

Unlike you Kay, I'm a very light sleeper, the smallest noise or disturbance wakes me up. Perhaps now that I'm sleeping less hours I will begin to sleep heavier.

Is that out of choice Shole, or because of the nature of your work?

12. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Never mind the neighbours... I often get up before my family go to bed! :D