Please tell me how seo tools count backlinks.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by manishsqrt, May 18, 2015.

1. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used a very popular tool ahrefs for counting backlinks of my competitors, its showed millions of backlink for some of them.I want to know what does that mean, does it mean that there are that number of links of that site on those pages, or does it mean that its links are on that much popular page.Suppose i get a backlink from a site that has 1000 backlinks, then will this tool count number of backlinks as 1 or 1000.Please help.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Ahrefs and similar tools show the backlinks coming to your website pages. The number of links going to the site that is linking to you are irrelevant, at least for this purpose. If you wish, you can show the links only going to the homepage, or links to your entire site. In either case, however, you will only see the links going to your pages, not the links to the pages linking to yours.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Tricky! Are 301, 302, Meta redirect all considered as backlinks?
    We know that the tool runs a series of tests to determine how many links are pointing to the website link we entered.

4. James4

James4
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Every tools has their own algorithms to track once website. Tools helps you show approximately data they does not help you to find out exacta data. Now, coming to your question tools like you are talking about track your entire website back links (inbound bound links). If ahref tool shows you 500 back links then it does not mean that those all links are live. May be few of them gone broken. If you got 5 links from one domain then google count it one link and rest of all are counts referring pages. But online tool shows you total number of links including referring pages.
    In ahref tool you can check how many referring pages and how many referring domains connected to your website.

5. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So this means more than one link from a domain is insignificant in terms of search ranks for google.

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

A redirect to another page is not considered a backlink. For example, if you redesign your website, and redirect mywebsite,com/onepage to mywebsite.com/thispage, thispage does not gain a backlink from onepage. Redirects are used to indicate that a page has been moved, and web pages cannot give backlinks to themselves.

7. James4

James4
    uix_expand uix_collapse

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

No. It does not mean that more than one link from a domain is insignificant in terms of search ranks for google. If domain have good authority then you can consider 1 or 2 links more from the different pages of that domain. However, Google consider a number of factors to ranked a website for specific search query. So, it depends on you that in which way you are looking a particular website (here i am talking about the domain you are looking for getting a back link to your site). And these skills coming from experience. I hope you got my talk. Thanks.

#7 James4, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  8. Priyanka Sharma

Priyanka Sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

these type of tools sometime count back link for every page. suppose you place link on footer and it will be same for all page. so in backlink analysis you see all page and link place on footer. so may be total links number is not 1000 but backlinks will be shows as 1000

9. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This means if somebody places more than one link on my page then it will be counted as one link by google but may be counted as more than one by others.Fine, but my question still remains.What i want to know suppose my page has 100 backlinks and some body posted a link on it, will google count this as 100 links for that page also.