Please Review my First Forum..

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by Scarface_007, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

http://www.xquizit.info This is my first forum it started a month ago and has 100 members please review as much as possible and how i can improve to get more members thanks.

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it prompts.

3. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ye changing server i will let you know when its done thanks

4. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Site is Back up and running please review now thanks.

5. CBI Web

CBI Web
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    BAF Tech Admin
    Premium Member

The Good:
    Gotta love the name of the place; great wordplay! It even goes along with the fact that people will come to ask techie questions; hence, "quiz it". :D
    The site is nice and clean, easy to navigate. The alternating color of post headers is a nice useful touch.

The Bad:
    I'm concerned that you might have a legal problem with using the Microsoft logo, unless you've already handled that.
    Also, it seems that avatars are missing in the posts. I'm seeing the 'broken image' icon instead.

The Ugly:
    The naked mole rat. That is quite ugly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the review avatars missing i don't know just uploaded to new server and it shows here do you mind pointing out to which avatar is missing thanks. And as for Microsoft logo I hope it wont effect me.

7. CBI Web

CBI Web
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    BAF Tech Admin
    Premium Member

The sidebar in each post where it displays the member's info. I'm seeing 'broken image' icons in many of them, presumably because the member has an avatar but it's not showing up.
    Look at your site in Chrome or IE to see what I mean (Firefox doesn't show the broken image icons, but it might be the way I have it set).

8. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

oh yes in ie i see the missing to thanks for pointing out I uploaded this to new server i wonder what i done wrong to not see it showing im confused.

9. CBI Web

CBI Web
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    BAF Tech Admin
    Premium Member

I see you're using Simple Machines Forum software, which I'm not familiar with, so your best bet would be to contact them for support. :)

10. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes Cbi thanks I have asked support hopefully they'll get back soon. I might have missed something on upload.

11. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

wow I played around with it and its working now, learning!!!

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's currently showing up in maintenance mode for me?

13. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

na its not on maintenance mode refresh maybe works.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It is for me - screenshot. I have cleared my cache and force refreshed, but it's still in maintenance mode for me.

15. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hmm thanks Fergal I got no clue I checked on my other pc also and now cleared cache on forum i rechecked with few friends its working for them. Only issue was the older theme was showing to few members so i had to reinsert the theme and now its ok for all. Fergal if its not a problem please would you mind checking for last time thanks.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Scarface_007, it's opening fine for me now. Overall the forum looks good, I like the name and the header.

One thing I notice is that your forum titles appear to be a little lower down than they should be. I'm talking about the area marked in red in this image. The overall view of your forum would probably be improved if the forum title was at the same vertical level as the start of the last post for that forum section.

17. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Fergal, I'm trying to hide the title from showing as the banner and logo has full title and i do agree it looks better without it.

18. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Whilst I've never been a huge fan of Simple Machines forums, your website does look quite smart. Whilst simple, the theme is appealing and the colours all seem to blend well. The logo is rather uninteresting though, perhaps look into creating something more 'stand out' for when visitors first see your website. Having said that, sometimes simple can work too, I guess.

The fundamental problem is the lack of posts and topics. Whilst the forum is new, it's extremely off-putting for potential new members to see sections with just a couple of posts in. This shows that there's no active discussions going on. This really comes down to you. I'm not being harsh, but in the early stages it's the administrator's job to post lots of new topics to start some discussions off. You should be posting regularly which will hopefully encourage your members to do the same. Seeing sections with a last post of January will probably stop some people from registering. Personally I wouldn't join a forum that looks that inactive. Whereas, if I saw a forum that was new but had several new posts in the last 24 hours alone, I'd be much more inclined to register and participate in the community.

There are so many technology forums about that it's going to be hard to establish yourself in that field. You need to offer something unique to your members that other similar (and much larger) forums do not offer. Competitions/contests of some kind are normally a decent place to start. Don't think you need massive prizes either, any small reward to show your appreciation to your members is enough.

I must say I love the name. It's clever and catchy, although a .info domain for a forum isn't ideal. I suppose in the early stages it will do though.

In conclusion, new forums are difficult, there's no doubt about that. However, I feel yours has potential, but you're going to have to work really hard to promote the forum and stay active on it yourself. Eventually others will do the same.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for such nice review and comments, I also had doubt to .info but i couldn't find .com and this domain was with me for sometime i thought i'd put to to use.
    As for the logo, I'm requesting people on this forum to see if someone can make one and in return i will offer the BAF cash. Lastly since you have done such nice review I would appreciate if you could further comment on this idea that I initially had for this forum..

The idea was since the domain has XQUIZit.info I thought i will do a mixture niche forum...I started with tech, gadgets and added immigration and Finance in the off-topic area but someone suggested it wont work. Would you spare few minutes of your time and give your opinion on this please.

Thanks once again looking forward to hearing from you.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No problem. Personally I wouldn't recommend that you go along the mixed niche route; one clear theme to a forum is best. That's not to say you can't do it if you really want, but forums designed like that don't normally last very long. Technology and gadgets are both related, so in my opinion that's fine. Even though your primary focus is computer/technology, it's perfectly reasonable to have sections for different branches of technology. Your members aren't going to mind having plenty of sections if they're all relevant.

Immigration and finance, however, really aren't related. Anything to do with these topics should probably stay in your off-topic section only. The exception to this would be is if your forum became very large and there were lots of threads in off-topic about one specific thing (e.g. you start getting new topics every few days about finance) - in this case, it may be time to introduce a sub-section for finance, just so the off-topic section doesn't get 'clogged up'.

I hope you see where I'm coming from with this. It's basically about adapting your forum to what your members are posting. Since it's unlikely many of your current members are going to be actively discussing immigration and finance (since they've come to your website to discuss computer technology) a section for them isn't needed and would just look out of place.

Try to steer clear of too many niches in my opinion, focus on one. However, if your members are talking about a certain niche a lot, then adapt your forum accordingly and create appropriate new sections.

• Like Like x 1