Please Review My Blog

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by BenjaminCip, Sep 4, 2009.

1. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just upgraded my blog theme with the last version of the Ultimate Blogging Theme, and would like to hear your opinion about the blog design, ect.

- I moved the right sidebar to the left part.
    - I changed the comments order (the lastest comment is featured at the top of other comments)
    - Changed my Logo header.
    - Feature social media above the comments...

I hope to hear your honest review here.

P.S : Don't mention the blog colors, please. These are the colors I choosed.

2. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Benjamin,

As I am a daily reader of your blog, I always like your blog and your blog posts. I just saw that change of moving the sidebar from right to left and I think it doesn't suite's your blog. Well the before one was very good rather then this one, the comments change is good and I liked it, as the color is already selected by you and it is looking very good. The empty space at the bottom (Footer) looks odd I think, you can place some banner or something like that there to keep it full. The logo is very good and I was seeing the DP contest thread also I think the one you choose was good and was suiting to your blog and blog theme also.

Overall your blog rocks and it is very good. Keep blogging.

Thanks.

3. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for your nice review Sahil. I honestly didn't like the left sidebar either, and was thinking to put it back to the right. Concerning the empty space in the right footer, I'll sure put something instead soon.
    There is only one thing I don't like with the new upgrade is the fact that new comments are at the top... any idea how I could change it?

4. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its OK, I think you can change them from wp-admin >> Appearance >> Editor >> comments.php Or Header.php

Not sure.

If you do not know the codes just PM me the code and I will let you know about it.

Thanks

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Your new logo looks great and really suits your blog.

Personally the blog has too many ads for my liking and I find that very off putting. If you included less adds you should be able to sell individual ads at a higher price and your blog would be a more enjoyable place for your visitors.

My own experience is that sites need to be very well known and very well established before they can sustain that level of ads. However, perhaps they are working for you and if they are that's great.

I also feel that the Comments, Recent posts and Subscribe area at the top of your blog gives it a cluttered, uncomfortable feel, when combined with all of those ads.

Your "About" page contains very little content, it might help to add some more information to this area. The main image is not displaying on my browser either, if I remember correctly you previously had a photo of you and your wife there.

Your "Advertise" page is very well presented with an excellent range of advertising options.

I like the way the most recent comments are shown on top.

Overall it's a very nice design and I'm delighted that you are getting good traffic and visitor activity, through comments.

Good luck with it and I wish you continued success.

6. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your blog looks really good Ben. If I can be honest, I would think to say that I feel you might have too many ads on the right hand side. The only reason I say this, is because generally, people looking at blogs are looking for content, not ads. But we always throw a few up to try to maintain costs and turn small profits.

Also I noticed on your "Recent Posts" and "Latest Comments" widgets at the top seem to have the bottom line get cut off. This might just be ocassionaly, I'm not sure of how the layout was coded. But if you're familiar with coding, maybe consider checking that out.

Other than that, I think your blog looks great. And I do have to agree with Fergal in saying that your logo fits it nicely. :)

7. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for your reviews. I don't have any coding skills, I only know the basics. My theme is a premium one and is complicated for me. I hope Sahil will help me with the coding, at least for the comments. For the header widgets, I decided to select 4 comments, so when the title of the post is long, it sometimes hide some comments. I have a problem with the gravater, they are duplicated. If I don't use gravatar plugin, it will solve the problem for the comments, but gravatar photos in the left header widget will disappears.... I don't know what to do about it..

8. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Do you use any Messengers? Please give its ID so we can talk and I can help you in that.

Thanks

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do the people you purchased the theme from provide coding support? They will know the ins and outs of the theme better than anyone. The theme here on BAF is a free one, yet the level of support provided by the creator (Mikey) is second to none.

10. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Fergal, I know the coding support, but whenever he reply to my question, I don't find solution to my problem, he always delay asking me question, and finally find answer or help somewhere else. It doesn't mean the theme is bad or whatever, it's just that I have to do everything by myself. I should really learn coding seriously. Anyway thank you for your reviews. I do really appreciate it.

11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Frankly speaking, you blog is good enough in term of the content and layout. The only thing i can suggest is not putting too many "sponsor ads" at your site bar. Better make it 8 maximum (suggested 6 unit ads). Other than that, you might consider to shorten your length too, visitor dont really like to roll down many time.

12. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I think it is set properly because when a visitor goes to site especially of any niche of Money Making Online then they need to see ads otherwise they would think that this is not of use and it have no good content.

If you can check the big giant blogger sites on this topic and they will also have this much ads or they will be having a lot more.

John Chow - http://johnchow.com
    Pro Blogger - http://problogger.com
    Shoe Money - http://shoemoney.com

Thanks

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would honestly say that some of those blogs are less cluttered with ads than Benjamin's. Also world famous bloggers can get away with things that they rest of us can't. Visitors will accept more ads, in order to read the content of a world famous blogger, than they will on a blog that they have not heard of before. John Chow's blog contained very few ads when he launched it first. It was only when he became well known that he started adding a lot of ads.

14. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is the common mistake, dont make it too many ads before your blog become famous as Jonhchow or problogger. This will only make your blog lose the focus on the content.

15. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Ben's blog has less ads then them and they are good.

The main thing you are not understanding the ads are the crucial thing, if you have marked that all the bloggers which have big and high traffic they all have many ads. The main thing they do so is because they write such a good content and articles. Then where is the source of them to earn? The one only main source is earning by ads. We all are seeing that they have many and many ads and they are not good. Like Pop ups and the one in the headers and between the posts. But the one 125 X 125 are good they do not come between the reading and seeing the articles. They can be long down to the end. until the blog posts are there.

So Ben's blog do not have such type of ads like Pop ups and between posts that are good. And the one in 125 X 125 are also good in amount and they are also not coming between the posts.

16. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I understand advertisement very well, i not earning big from the advertisement but my earning from the advertisement enough for me to survive. More ads doesnt mean more earning, focus is very important. Anyway, this is just according to my testing on the website, i like to make simple website and run some testing on ads and SEO. Maybe it is not applicable for all the website/blog.

17. kguru1979

kguru1979
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My suggestions...

Hi benjamin

I am reviewing your blog for the first time now.. Well .. In my opinion, it looks really good except I like to give some few comments here..

1.For each post, clearly distinguish the sub heading part with a different font so that user can read it clearly. Now the sub heading part is not so clear. For example in the "How To Increase Your Blog Traffic" section, the heading "Write Posts regularly :" is not so clear to view and it looks combined with the body. Just increase the size or change the font style.

2. The "Ninja Affiliate" logo is quite big and it is hindering the text about Gr8ecom which is nearby.

3. "About" section looks very short. You can describe more. Usually ABOUT section will describe the purpose of the website. So you have to describe more about the core purpose of "Benjamincip" website with a short and sweet 2 to 3 paragraphs with some good animated images.

18. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for your reviews. I'm still making some changes on my blog. Thanks to the help of Sahil, I could fix some of the problems I had. I already wrote a post before about my blogging purpose, so I might use it for the "about me" page.

Concerning the ads, they are not expansive at all, and according to my stats, advertisers get worthy numbers of clicks. As I loosed my day work, I have no alternative but putting ads on my blog. The more my ads fee will increase, the less I will display ads. The in-text ads (Ninja Affiliate Plugin) get a very good amount of clicks, so I will be able to charge it for $50 in the following months, but I keep it for $20 at the moment. My Advertisers tend to prefer purchasing 125x125 banner ads.

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You might find it useful to have a look at some of those famous blogs through Archive.org. This will give you a good indication of how many ads they placed on their blogs when they started out and as they continued to grow. Note that some banners don't show, but you can see a notice that lets you know where the banners were.

You can view the Archive for JohnChow.com here. Notice how few ads there were when the blog started in 2005, and throughout most of 2006.

Very sorry to hear that Benjamin. Hopefully it turns out to be an opportunity in disguise and your blog grows to be an outstanding success, with the extra time you have to focus on it. Please keep asking questions and for reviews and we will do our very best to help you.

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member