Please review my blog.

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by JPM, Jul 5, 2011.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At My Most Visited, I am attempting to build a blog which is useful and resourceful for visitors to see alternatives to the usual sites the every day web user may visit. I would like some feedback please on the following if you guys don't mind...

• Design.
    • Topics and Content.
    • Writing.

http://www.mymostvisited.com

Thanks in advance.

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The content is great. But I can say that the template is quite too simple. I can be biased since I'm not really a fan of sites with white bgcolor.

Like what I posted on the other review thread, your long articles pretty much stretch your page downward. I would suggest adding a "read more..." option so that you can make he length of your page as short as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's good advice about the read more, I missed that thank you. WhY is it you don't like about the colour Dan?

4. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You have some great blog posts/articles and some of the plugins your are using look excellent (in particular the share line at the bottom of each article). However, as GekiDan says, the theme lacks inspiration and colour. Try adding an excerpt plugin or use the WordPress excerpt to have people click a 'read more...' link. This stops all of the article being posted on the front page.

The first point people notice is a logo or banner and there is none on your blog. Logo's are a sign of brand and recognition, have you thought about adding one?

• Like Like x 2
  5. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The articles should now read as a summary on the hone page. Thanks guys.

TheNova, I am bot sure about a logo, what did you have in mind?

6. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well take a look at the logo for BAF. It's simple, but it's to the point, easy to read and has some colour in it. You don't always need a fancy logo like many of these newer websites think you need. A logo which is recognisable as your own should do the trick. Make it readable and try to fit in the blogs name and a little slogan.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Summary? Are you sure? It seems it's still unchanged since I last saw it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Overall I think the blog is great and the quality of your posts are excellent. The screen shots are very effective and you give good info on useful websites. I do agree that the blog could do with a bit more colour. I'd recommend adding a header image or even a graphic logo, to give it some colour. Some form of border might also help.

Well done on what you have achieved so far and good luck with it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. harigopinath

harigopinath
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Review:http://mymostvisited.com/

Hi,
    The first thought that came into my mind when I visited your site was an emptiness , even though you have lot of useful content and very SEO rich articles.There are many designs and templates that are just white and minimal but gives a rich feel to the website.

From my point of view adding a colorful logo or any kind of images that will let people know what the blog is all about at once glance will be a great help to visitors.

Navigation: Which is very hard to find. The regular sidebar menus and links are easy only for regular bloggers and web users who know where to find the links in such templates.I would suggest that you install a horizontal menu bar just below your header so that it is evident.

Background:The background and the content seems to merge at all points which is good at many designs but when it comes to establishing your brand I think making a separation from the content and the background will be good.

Advertisement: Advertising is essential part of blogging if that is what you are aiming at.But adding an advertisement after every blog will make visitors(at least me) that you are blogging only for making revenue from the ads which is not a very good impression when you are starting a blog.You lose the credibility and loyalty of the visitors.

Overall : Content is great! Keep them coming.Small issues, solve them and your blog will be cool!

• Like Like x 3
  10. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for some great feedback. Much appreciated. I am going to digest this, put it into action and reply here. Thanks.

11. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the posts are easy to read and useful. I would add some of your personality to the blog to make it stand out. Either add your own photo somewhere on the sidebar or header graphic and/or add an image that is related to tech somehow at top. I would also encourage more interaction on your posts by inviting people to comment and share via the social media buttons you have there.

The sidebar needs some work as it looks like all you did was leave the defaults on. Remove the items that won't be of much interest to most people and add some new sections of your own.

• Like Like x 2
  12. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The design and content is good, keep on working on it
    I would only suggest to change the font colour on the sitewide link, it is not obvious enough

13. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Sigma, just to clarify guys; I have updated the theme and just need to add a logo, what do you think?

Sigma - How would I do that, it doesn't appear obvious on the WP dashboard.

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can say this one is better than the previous. You just need to tweak it a little.
    You can change the "Follow us on Twitter" by "Join Us" and badges or images from your social media networks like our fan page link and twitter profile.
    Another one is choose a lighter color shade for the links on your sidebar so they can be easily noticed.

15. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The links should be lighter now just trying to work on how to lighten the tag cloud and the slogan.

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can see that you still missing the share buttons.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Dan, I am trying to work out how to add those buttons to be honest.

18. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it's a Blogger blog, I would definitely help you. Wordpress is out of my league.

19. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fair enough, thanks anyway!

20. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The design you have going for it is great. I've considered using that theme myself from ElegantThemes quite a few times for different sites. They really have a great selection. Overall, I would say everything seems to be looking good other than maybe trying to edit the logo a bit so it seems like it meshes a bit better with the overall theme.

• Like Like x 1