Please help me with some suggestions on how to be more decisive!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I feel that I could improve my life and my business if I became more decisive. Being able to make decisions quickly and then commit to those decisions and see them through, is important for any business person.

Please reply with any suggestions or tips you have for becoming more decisive.

Thanks!

2. nirose

nirose
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have found that when you become sluggish in the things you do and become lazy, your brain too gets lazy while you try to do other stuffs.

But when you get active at everything you do then we are also able to think quick and better cuz of the activeness of the brain.

It helped me. :D

3. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like anything else it takes practice. You have to teach your brain that it is OK to make a decision and stick to it. You should try to practice making decisions with the information you have to hand. Start with simple things,

"apples or oranges what shall I buy" - "apples, because I can make pie as well as just eat the apple". "What shall I do today" - "its warm outside, I'll go for a walk".

Once you have made your decision just do it.

You can then sit down in the evening and look over the decisions you made that day;
    did they turn out to be right? if so, great job done.
    if not, was it the best decision at the time, if so, great job done as you cannot influence everything.
    if not and you now feel it was a bad decision ask yourself why you made the decision and if you still feel it was the wrong decision then make a mental note of it so next time you have an experience to draw upon.

4. OneLife

OneLife
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am surprised that you suffer from indecision Fergal, the way you promote and operate this site leads me to believe you have a great work ethic, so you have been decisive in making this site successful at least...!

In general the sales people I have trained who are indecisive have a fear of failure, embarassment etc (whether deply buried or obvious). This fear leads them to be unsure of the decision to make and take the easy path of making no decision at all.

The easiest way to overcome that is to make decisions concioulsy for a while, I mean saying them outloud.. force yourself to be in that decisive monet. Have you seen the movie 'Yes man' (I think it is called that - with Jom Carey) basically he decides to say yes to everything, with the usual Jim Carey hilarity following. But there is a lesson there, making decisions, even though they may not turn out to have been the right ones, move you forward, where as indecision kills the entrepreneurial spririt.

Addressing the fear of failure can be started by looking at your beliefs and also re-adjusting your mindset. Never think of the consequences of your decision as 'failure' think of it as getting an 'outcome'. Failure seems final, an outcome seems easier to change.

Everything we do produces and outcome, whether it is the one we wanted or not, but like navigating a car without SatNav, you get lost, you stop, you may ask for directions, you may consult a map and you set off in another direction towards your destination. Decisions are exactly the same... we make them... get an outcome... readjust... make another decison... get an outcome, until we finally get the desired result.

Hope that helps..

5. skyfire

skyfire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It happens with most of us. I have the same problem like fergal. I tried to imitate others to see what worked for them if it works with me. But it didn't. So even i'm in for suggestion.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't see making decisions quickly can turn out good most of the time. Every time you want to decide on anything, think about it all over again and take a look about the consequences or outcomes that will happen when you make this or that decision.

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal..I have a very simple rule in my life in regards to decision..... " I do whatever I want to do..I don't think too much and wait for it unless until it has some serious and deadly consequences...I believe- Think for the best and prepare for the worst...":)

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone for your helpful tips and suggestions. I'll put them into practice. There are many times and areas in my life where I can be quite decisive, but there are some areas where I feel I need to improve my ability to make decisions and the speed with which I make those decisions.

9. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Having some intuitive thinking might help you in making tough decisions too.