Please help me to improve time management!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by 50Cent, Jul 10, 2010.

1. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My time management is not very good. How do i work is that, i think what i do what. Which is really bad for me. Any advice to give me ? that i handle my time management well?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

One of the first steps to improving your time management is to know how you are currently spending your time. Many people advise keeping a time log for a week, where you record how you are spending your time every day for that week. I agree that an approach like that can help you, but many people simply won't make the effort to record everything they do for a week. If you don't want to be that detailed, you can still benefit from writing down an estimate of how you are currently spending your time.

Next step is to write down your goals - I see that you have already done that in our goals section, which is great. Now write down a list of the most important things you need to do to start working towards your goals. Put the list into some kind of order based on what's most important and what you can begin working on straight away.

Then every evening write down the most important tasks that you must complete the next day. When you start work the next day work through your list, before you do anything else. This will keep your work focused on what's important for achieving your goals.

You really can do all this quite easily, but for some people it takes some time to get into this kind of discipline. If you are finding it difficult just do the following: Every evening write down the most important thing that you will do the next day to achieve your goal. When you start working the next day, don't do anything else until you have completed that task. This will get you started working in a disciplined and focused manner. As time goes on and you become more disciplined and focused, you can increase the number of items that you put on your list each day. Add one more item to your list so that every day you complete two tasks before doing anything else, then three items, etc, etc.

Please post back with your thoughts and we will help you get to a stage where you have made excellent improvements in your time management. Remember that you will not see drastic improvements over night, but that when you start exercising this kind of discipline you will become a much more efficient and productive person through time.

3. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the advice fergal, I will test it out and let you guys know how it is.

4. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Fregal thats a really cool idea to plan out your most important tasks in the evening before and execute them first thing in the morning before any thing.

5. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey fergal, i used your method it really works at times..

6. igorvolseo

igorvolseo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hey Fergal
    really very nice tips for time management

7. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah!!! ......

8. pixelbob

pixelbob
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is how I start my day. I always keep focus on the set goal for the day and I always do my best to complete it.

9. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree with Fergal - always set your plan at the end of the day.

I like to ensure I focus on the most important tasks by asking myself questions ike if I could only do one thing today to get the best result for my business what would it be? or If I only had 1 hour today what is the biggest thing I could do to progress my business?

That then becomes the number 1 priority - otherwise it is easy to focus on lots of small unimportant tasks and not really get anywhere.

Break bigger tasks into each small step and set times for each step.

Schedule start time, finish time and breaks. Turn off or sign out of email - schedule in time to check email.

Find someone to hold you accountable. I have a couple of accountability buddies where we hold each other to account for different things. For example I hold someone to their fitness goals while they hold me to my business goals. We don't take long but we have a quick run through what was achieved, not achieved and is planned. The reason we do this is to ensure we push each other on things like what got in the way, what distractions, etc and how not to fall into the same trap over and over again.

The biggest thing to know is only you can make yourself follow you plans so you need to build rewards into your planning. When I complete these things today I will give myself, or allow myself to, spend time mucking around with..... whatever it is that will make it worthwhile. I find I schedule the things I spend time doing as a distraction from real work as my rewards.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Are these people friends in real life? How do you actually do this, do you meet every so often to share your targets for the future and review what you have achieved to date?

11. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some of friends, some are colleagues, some are other internet marketers that met through a course. For example we used to have drinks once a months with the IMers but I decided to turn that into a mastermind group instead - who meet monthly and do a weekly Skype call in smaller groups. From that came an accountability partner - we were doing a quick Skype call each evening. I did these and need to do these tomorrow (the other person would chime in with things about the fact that all that was avoiding the one big thing you had to do or what about or....)

Most of this is SKyped rather than in person. Once you get in person you have travel times and the like to cpnsider.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that Tecknowoman, sounds like a very supportive network you have.