Please help!!! I cant find any advice on the internet regarding this!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Brianb, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Brianb

Brianb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I am currently employed and want to start my own company whilst I am in employment.
    I'm not sure on how I can do this properly?

The type of business that I'm thinking about going into will require me to employ somebody, but whilst doing this I would like to keep my currently employment until business really starts to take off.

So please any advice would be really gratefully received :)

Regards,

Brian

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

H Brian, welcome to Business Advice Forum. There is nothing to stop you from employing someone whilst you are still in employment yourself. I know more than one college lecturer who set up their own business and employed people whilst at the same time keeping their college positions.

Can you please be a little more specific as to the advice you would like to get?

What state or country will the business be based in?

3. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It all depends on the type of business you're looking to run. It's not hard to run a business online while being employed in the real world. I did the exact same thing years ago and it all worked out fine. I went onto some popular webmaster forums and found some people who were willing to help me out for free and from there my business just took off.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What type of business do you want to start?

5. Brianb

Brianb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I like in the UK. The business that I am going to set up is in Car Park Management.
    I am currently employed with a car park management company, but they have declined many contracts in my local area
    and that particular door is open for me.

6. mvh

mvh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good for you for spotting the opportunity. If they don't look out for their customers, then someone else will (i.e. you :) )
    You need to find out if your employer will allow this; by looking through your employment contract - look for something regarding conflict of interest and/or trade agreements. They may take legal action if you do violate this and they find out.

If your business acumen is not that good, but you know the trade - then hire someone that can manage the business well - while you guide them on the trade.

Shout if you need more advice...

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good for you for finding that opportunity. The question now is, are you ready to take some risks as the business go by?
    How do you plan to handle them?

8. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh....seems your business is exactly same field as your working company. If this is the case, first you gotta ensure your current employer company allow this, and also check on your employment agreement have any statement mention about this. Some of the company do not allow this because they worry their own staff taking advantage from the company or/and get the customer from the company.
    So, better make clean on this to avoid any law issue.

• Like Like x 1