Please give me tips to improve my blog.

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by simplyjo, Nov 8, 2009.

1. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All,

I have a movie review blog - http://angelskingdom.blogspot.com/

Please give me tips on how to improve it, get more visitors and increase PR. I don't have much time to spend on it - I can spend 1 hr a week in which what I do is add posts and bookmarks/pings to it. Can I do something else - some quick tips to help me ?

Thx,
    Jo

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm not sure that a blog can do well if you only spend one hour per week on it. I note that you only post on that blog once per week, that really is quite infrequent for a blog and won't do much to encourage repeat visitors. Would you not be better spending that time on doing something to help one of your other sites?

Have you had a look at the blogging related links in our Useful Online Business Resources, especially the 0 to $500 one?

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My review:
    Your site is quite very simple but it do have good content on it. I think it will definitely prosper since you offer movie reviews which is quite challenging to do.

There are lots of thing needs to be changed
    First: You cannot gain lots of visitors is you will just update once a week. You can get lots in one day but visitors tend to decrease as the days pass by without update. As much as possible, update your site everyday and if that's not possible, every other day is also good. And be sure you have done some good SEO techniques on your blog posts so that it can be easier to be found by search engines, especially Google. The more the content, the more visitors will go to your site.

Oh, I forgot about the title of your site. A title like that is hard to be found by search engines. Titles like these, if not the best, will be better: Angel's Movie Reviews Kingdom. You can ask for more suggestions here on BAF.

Second: the theme of your site must be changed. It's kinda boring to look on just a plain design. Although if simple is good, you can find a more appealing and appropriate theme for your niche. You can definitely find lots of good themes here at BTemplates.com and customize it. It is a good site for Blogger Templates. You can choose from different colors and number of columns.

Third: Your widgets needs to be changed also. Why? The typography and design of it (site counter) is kinda distracting and the placement is not that good. Site counter should be placed below to prevent visitor bragging and distraction to readers. Try Histats.com. It has lots of simple site counters which can blend any template you use.

Fourth: To increase your PR and backlinks, link exchange, and forum and blog commenting is a must. These could also bring lots of visitors from other sites. And if you are serious about this, you can do first the next step before starting to build up your links.

Fifth: If possible, purchase a custom domain. A custom domain, if used well, is easier to remember than the Blogspot subdomain. You can purchase one at GoDaddy for as low as $1.19 for INFO and $9.99 for a COM/NET domain. You can save more i you used discount coupons which can be easily search on the internet.

Here are some of my suggestions:
    angelmoviereview (COM, NET)
    reviewkingdom (NET, INFO)
    moviereviewkingdom (NET)
    movieskingdom (NET, INFO)
    angelskingdom (NET)

Hope that helps.

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To get more visitor, you first need interesting quality content, then work out on SEO. After that, you can also promote your blog through article submission site, ezinearticle is one of the best place to generate traffic. By the way, one hours per week seems not sufficient to get good traffic if your site is still new

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you visited the said blog, you wouldn't say this.
    Try to visit that site and take a look at his blog archive. It can be easily seen that the blog is more or less a year old since the first post was made last 2008.

6. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thx for the awesome tips Geki :)
    Can you guide me on how to install/upload Blogger templates ?

7. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

8. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry for the misunderstand, the "new" i mean is actually saying it is not "mature enough" or dont have huge amount of visitors. I dont mean really mean the blog's age. The reason is age doesnt the big matter because some people are blogging for years but not getting good amount of visitor, it considered not "mature enough".

9. turbulence

turbulence
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you have to work a little bit more on the branding side of your blog, create a custom template and make your blog stand out in the niche you are writing.

10. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

12. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Jo,

This theme is good and I am sure it will a Search engine friendly theme as it do not include so much of images. One thing I would like to tell you is I see there are few links on the Header "Home" "About Us" "Contact" "FAQ" but there link is same to your blog. I would suggest to edit them from edit template in blogger. You can make a post about the following things and can change link of this the following pages. The other thing I would like to suggest is why don't you change your blog to a specific domain, the suggestion given by GekiDan are also good. And also you should change your blog to wordpress. I know it can be a lose of your PageRank. But transferring to Wordpress can make blogging easy.

Thanks And Hope My Suggestion Helps you.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Jo, that theme looks much better in my opinion. I much prefer white backgrounds and the site looks great. One suggestion I would make is that the "older posts" link at the bottom of every page needs to be made more visible.

14. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thx Fergal. Glad you like it.
    How do I change font size of older posts ? This font size changed automatically with the theme..

15. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thx sahil..though honestly speaking, I am totally new to templates and know zilch about hosting so WP is out for me :(
    How do I remove home/faq/contact us section or ADD to it ?

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can change the size of that link with just a simple tweak on the HTML codes on the template. If you have a good knowledge about HTML, you can try that out.

But be sure to download your current template first to have a back-up.

17. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Jo,

I am sure it would be hard for you, if you can PM me the full template code then I can remove it and give you the corrected code. It would easily remove the useless things.

Thanks

18. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thats great :) thx sahil...i will do that.

19. Elomelo

Elomelo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Contents are the king when you are talking about making a blog popular. So try to add good quality content and of course frequently. The design needs to be imporved a bit. But at first you should work on content.

20. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

His site does have content. All he need to do is promote it.

@simplyjo
    Have you already submitted it to blog directories like Technorati and BlogCatalog?
    I suggest that you submit your blog to them. You will definitely get traffic from it.