please advice?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by safex, Feb 8, 2010.

1. safex

safex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hello, I found out many stuff about Hauling Business.. And want to ask all members in here opinions, is it hard to set up Hauling Business or not really, all my info tells me that Hauling Business is one of the hardest businesses in the world to set up. just small question for now.

Sorry if I did some English mistakes.

2. Alexishost

Alexishost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What your expectation for setting it up?
    Do you have vision for 5 years how it look like? is it profitable enough for you to set up?

here is the step you can take:
    Source:e-how

Market Entry
    Step

Decide if your trash hauling service will target the commercial market or the residential market or some combination of both.
    Step

Survey the competition in your targeted market. The Business Startup Journal has useful tips for conducting market research and business intelligence.
    Step

Establish your rates by calculating your cost of providing the service in your area. Include equipment, material, labor, supplies, maintenance, licenses, taxes, promotion and insurance to estimate your operating costs. Add your profit margin to get the total amount to charge.
    Step

Contact established companies with complementary businesses and inquire about joint ventures and sub-contracts. These businesses could include recycling operations that need pickup services and building contractors that require demolition debris removal.

Operations
    Step

Setup your accounting system. At minimum you must be able to track your accounts payable , your accounts receivables and your cash on hand. Monthly cash flow projections are necessary to keep track of profits. You will find tools for making these on the All Business website.
    Step

Establish a marketing calendar, based on your business plan. This will help you decide when and how to promote your hauling service. This calendar should reflect seasonal fluctuations in anticipated volume for each of your trash hauling services.
    Step

Implement your human resources plan. Include number and type of employees needed. Write job descriptions and determine salaries and benefits that you will offer. Recruit employees as needed or outsource this function. Visit All Business to get free sample forms that you will need.
    Step

Develop efficient trash pickup routes that minimize time in traffic, expenditures for fuel and employee travel time. Develop weather and equipment failure contingency plans, based on your potential customers' needs.
    Step

Set aside a portion of every day or week, depending on business volume, to complete a management review. Review your goals and strategies, update or revise your business plan accordingly.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You mentioned in another thread that you are hoping to go to college soon. Are you planning on setting up the busienss before then or is it something you would like to set up after college? Co Louth, especially the Northern part of the county, has a very strong tradition in haulage and there are many large national haulage companies located there.

Would you consider any of the franchising options, to get you started in the business? FastWay Couriers have a well established franchise programme.

4. safex

safex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm planning to set up Hauling Business after I finish college or during the college year,which could be after the year or later. I'm not experienced enough and it would be to risky for me to set up my own business now.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Franchises are a good option for people with limited business experience. The franchisor should provide you with a lot of support and guidance on how to manage the business. Franchise businesses have a much lower failure rate than normal business set ups.

Please keep us updated on your progress and let us know if you have any further questions.

6. safex

safex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you, I try to find out as much information as possible about franchises, I know something about it , but not enough.. thanks again

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You might be interested in this franchise exhibit taking place in Croke Park,Dublin towards the end of next week.