Plastering Testimonials On Your Homepage — Good Or Bad

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Redd, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Positive feedback is good for any business. For those who've never bought anything from you, should they learn that other people are satisfied and can vouch for the quality of the products/services you sell, it would be easier to convince them to buy something from your site. Soliciting testimonials [from your clients/customers] could get you such "endorsements."

However since scammers have abused this [using (fake) testimonials to deceive people] having fancy testimonials on your site could be counter-productive.

Should you take the risk and hope for the best?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

If the testimonials are indeed genuine, having one or two on the appropriate page can help. However, I would not "plaster" testimonials on any page, as it can be a bit overwhelming, and overshadow the benefits of the product/service you are trying to sell. If you "plaster" testimonials on the home page, instead of a description of the products/services you sell and the benefits of using you instead of a competitor, it could backfire and cause potential customers to go somewhere else. As an alternative, or in addition to having a couple of (short) testimonials on the home/product/service page, you can have a separate page with multiple testimonials.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

False testimonials on the internet are so common that I don't believe most people actually believe them. If you already enjoy a significant amount of social credibility, posting testimonials will only boost your image and sales. However, if you're relatively unknown your testimonials will be taken with a grain of salt by the savvy visitor. Of course it's always better to have testimonials, providing they are legitimate.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used to include testimonials in a side-widget, but due to scammer, I removed it to avoid my site would like much in the way those scamming sites look like.

However had a testimonials page link up, for those wanting to read what clients said. Even though I found this was really counter-productive and removed it.

Actually I made available a contact form encouraging people to contact me for whatever reason they need to do it, including asking for the testimonial page link, renamed differently and not publicly displayed today.

5. OhioTom76

OhioTom76
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes the fake testimonials are so laughably bad, that's a clear sign to me to avoid doing any sort of business with that company at all. All it takes is a little common sense - where are all of these testimonials coming from in the first place, especially if the site just launched? If the domain is only a week or two old, and there are people making claims that they've been using the product for months or showing some faked earnings reports that go back farther than when the product even launched, that's a definite warning sign.

Another thing which can tip you off, particularly if you are a designer and someone who works with a lot of stock photography, after a while you start to become familiar with much of the stock photos out there - particularly the models themselves, and can spot a stock photo model a mile away.

There is even a plugin for Photoshop, which contains a database of random head shots that you can drop into your layouts for quick mockups when working on testimonial boxes.

• Informative Informative x 1