Pick the Success Story of Facebook

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by upineter, May 10, 2008.

1. upineter

upineter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you know facebook website ? I get the information about facebook success story on my mailing list. I got the information that the owner of the facebook website is a 23 years old boy and He become the youngest of the richest people in the world. Now, I m 23 years old same age the owner of the facebook website but I still depend on my parents finacial. The success of the facebook will inspiration for us to build a online business from now. Do you have online business idea ? Share your online business idea to the forum please ...

#1 upineter, May 10, 2008
    Last edited: May 10, 2008
  2. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm 25 and also are partly dependent on my parents. But the truth is, those guys who have massive success in their early 20s or even before that, often have parents who inspired them and taught them skills not available in school.

Unfortunately this is kind of an excuse, and it should remind You to take immediate aktion, as I do. However: Don not compare Yourself with guys like this. Compare Yourself with Yourself. Have You archived anything in the last year? If yes, You are on the right way.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Upineter, actually I do have an online business idea and it might or might not be my chance at success. I'm learning all I can right now and after I've launched my website, I'll also start working on it. Hope you understand if I don't share it now but I'll give you the next best thing. I'll let you in on how I got that business idea.

Read this thread. I actually got the idea while praying :)

And here's another tip for you, "Always have a pen ready with you at all times!". Sometimes, while working, playing or just chatting with friends, sometimes a great idea will just pop out of our heads. List these ideas immediately, no matter how far-fetched they are, before you forget them. These ideas might also be your chance at success! I have all my ideas in a little notebook of mine.

#3 Nazreen, May 10, 2008
    Last edited: May 10, 2008
  4. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm also a young guy, 17 years. I'm probably learning. If you're ought to be successful, no doubt you'll be. It depends upon your thinking ability and often inspiration and motivation. Let's see what can I do further. :)

5. Footzilla

Footzilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am the youngest over here. hahahaha. I am only 14 right now and it would be great if i could be as successful as the owner of facebook at that age. I am pretty young at this age and I am still earning some money. I have earned more than $50 dollars online. Now i am a co owner of a webmaster forum and a football forum too. I am really looking forward to expand my webmaster forum.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I find that I have too many ideas. My experience and observations have been that the really successful people are those that focus their attention on progressing and developing a single idea that they are 100% committed to and believe in 100%.

This commitment, focus and belief may be even more important than the quality of the actual idea.

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Having too many ideas is actually very good. Be sure to take a pen and paper, and write it down though. It might come in handy in the future. It's also recently that I started writing these down when a successful friend of mine told me about it. If only I wrote down all my ideas ever since I was a child, I think it it would already be as thick as the world almanac.

8. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe you're right.
    Sometimes you get to think about great ideas, but thou you cannot put into act due to financial lacking. So, your creativeness should be written for further use when you've the actual financial credit to deal with it. So, I agree with your statement that writing is the measure to use it later on.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Does having too many ideas not act as a distraction when you would be better off on focusing on one idea that you truly believe in?

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, I was referring to having too many ideas about a lot of things like ideas on how my website will look like, what I might sell on ebay or what brick and mortar business I might go into.

I think you're referring to having too many ideas on a single project/goal. I think this is good too in a way that you'll have a lot of options to choose from. You must also have these written down and also include your feelings about them.

The idea that you truly believe in might or might not be a good idea. One thing to note is that "Value is in the eyes of the beholder". So the best judge for this would be the "beholder" - your target market. Judging on which option/idea is the best should be based on objective research and not based on personal preference.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes there are advantages to having lots of ideas and it is good to be always thinking because it helps you keep your business innovative. In the post above I was referring to the fact that too many ideas can also act as a distraction.

If you have a business idea that you believe in, it is probably better to focus on that idea and to progress with it rather than doing it half-heartedly while you are thinking of other business ideas and playing around with them.

Nazreen's point that the idea might not necessarily be a good one, is well made and very appropriate. What you may need to do is to focus on one idea and have a cut off point with it. Eg the cut off point could be at market research stage. In other words you might be fully committed to one idea and doing market research on it. If the research is positive you could bring it to the next stage. If the research is not positive you might completely abandon the idea and focus on researching your next idea.

Or you might test a website for a certain period of time and if it is not getting enough traffic or generating enough revenue within that time-frame then move onto your next idea. All this is to avoid getting into the situation where you are flogging a dead horse.

On the other hand, there are many stories of business people who worked on a business concept that they passionately believed in, and kept working on it in spite of many knocks and set backs, only to achieve success after many years. I've often found it interesting that there is a paradox between persisting with an idea despite obstacles and the danger of flogging a dead horse.

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is also important to point out some myths about product sourcing and business ideas in general.

Myth 1 - Sell what you love
    Myth 2 - If I don't like it, nobody else will

In the first myth, read this post.

Your passions might put you in danger of flogging a dead horse, as Fergal put it, when you could have moved on and worked on a new business idea. But then again, don't give up too soon too.

In the second myth, it is also quite similar to the myth "Sell what you love". In this case, your personal preferences might actually hinder you from achieving success. A good example of this are piercings and implants. I see a lot of videos in youtube and I always say yeeeew, ouch, ugly, gross and damn, when I see these videos. But did you know that piercings and implants business have a loyal following and are actually earning money?

13. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't follow myth and have neither complete believe in it. But However, I feel that when you don't love your work/job you do then it puts you into the series trouble. When you're given the job of Marketing, and you're tend to go to different places and advertise the products and good that You don't like to do from your part. Then, there is no way you can make people feel happy about the products in real, however some may get satisfied with your advise on buying the products or using them. Thou, you're not liking the job, you're not able to do the thing you can do alot better than it.

However, sometimes you won't be able to find the job you wanted to due to your low education or financial, or whatsoever. And you've to follow the work whatever you get to live your live and family incase if you've them. And sometimes you prefer the job while you work with it and time makes it. Everything cannot be separated into likes/dislikes by once. It takes time to actually like anything. Anyways, you should get the job according to your fitting.

14. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have many ideas. The thing is to keep them to myself.

Until you are ready to launch the final product, so not tell anyone.

Also the Internet applications are developing. There are thousands of good ideas now. There are more that haven't been done. However these are not as easy to come across.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

People sometimes overestimate the importance of keeping ideas to themselves. Help can come from places you never expected it, when you share your ideas or problems. Also, ideas are generally very personal to yourself and are not as easy to copy as a lot of people think.

16. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What I meant by my post is. If I had an idea. Then posted on the Internet in the future I will be creating (insert idea here) in the future.

I will get people beat me to it.

Where if I made a website, or started a store with the product/application I am making already started I will be better protected.

17. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes that's quite true but that depends on the situation. If it's a new idea then it's better if I don't share it yet. I'm actually thinking about sharing my idea with my sister because she's taking up digital design. I don't think I can do it all myself.

I'll mimic BlueEew's reply that if I shared my new idea with the whole world, I would be in a no-win situation because people will beat me to it. :)

But if the idea is not a new one, it's better to share and get expert advice from people who have experience in that kind of stuff.

18. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very true. If you keep on telling your new ideas to the people, No doubt your Ideas will be stolen and already be used in their projects and planning. So, it's better you keep your new ideas with yourself, and use them at time. If you find someone to trust then tell them, but it's not better to tell untill you feel someone you tell is expert to help you with your new ideas grow little better with dicussion.

19. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Speaking of stolen ideas, did you know that facebook and youtube were stolen ideas? I've read from this blog that they are. So I think it's only good to entrust our new ideas only with people we can really trust.

See excerpts from the blog below.

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've always felt that the importance of business ideas is overrated. Many people think that a good business idea is what will make you successful. What will make you successful is implementation of the idea, branding and marketing.