PHP.ini file, should it be editable?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Ricus, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Ricus

Ricus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some web hosting services hide or remove all rights for the user to edit the php.ini file, which is needed to change the uploading size of files for example. I actually think it should only be editable for users, that purchases the hosting. What do you think?

2. smartkathy

smartkathy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No in my point of view answer is no.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why do you say that?

4. Tucker933

Tucker933
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I certainly agree that it should be available for paid hosting. There's not much of a point to keep it hidden when you're already paying for the resources, which you should be able to make use of how you choose.

5. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Typically, a host will disable certain functions in the global php.ini file to add a further layer of security to their servers. Most sites will not have an issue if done properly. If you allow a client to override the server global configuration, it defeats the purpose of implementing those safe guards in the first place.

This is why there are different levels of hosting. From shared to dedicated. Some sites are better suited on a dedicated or semi-dedicated environment if their needs are more than what a shared platform can provide.

So to answer the question, I don't think that on a shared hosting environment, the user should be able to override the server's default settings. On a semi-dedicated plan, yes. Of course on a VPS or dedicated server, the user should be able to configure their server however they see fit.

• Like Like x 3
  6. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Perhaps we own a dedicated server, for share hosting user they will always make the limitation, this is to make sure every user get equal server resources.

7. jaysh4922

jaysh4922
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your php.ini file is a standard text file, except that it ends in .ini instead of .txt. To edit the file, you simply need to find it and edit it using either the File Manager or another text editor.

8. patrick.s

patrick.s
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As GeekGhost said it's for security. It's not a great idea to let users edit the global PHP file configuration(shared Environment).
    It's to much of a risk to the server and the rest of the clients.

9. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you could just create a php.ini files for yourself inside the main directory of you site. or simply increase the size of memory in the php files.

• Like Like x 1
  10. liquidation31

liquidation31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, you should in my point of view

11. jaysh4922

jaysh4922
    uix_expand uix_collapse

php.ini file is editable but you have to be very careful when you will edit the php.ini file because this is core php setup file. From this file you can configure your php setup. So you have to be cautious in the time of editing the php.ini file.

12. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Creating a php.ini file for each site would be a better thing to do than editing the existing.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you do that, do you just upload it to the root directory of the site, or do you need to do something else to make it work?

14. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You would have to indicate what you'd want it to function whether to increase memery limit or file size to upload. I remember I have to uncomment few lines to the original php.ini when I install WAMP later did I know I can just create php.ini and specify rules inside for what I wanted to do.

• Like Like x 1