PHP and MySQL on Linux

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Lingua21, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to build some new applications using PHP and MySQL mainly so that I can spread my wings a bit and learn some new skills. As far as Internet skills are concerned I only know HTML and CSS at the moment and I picked up a bit of SQL back in my brief Oracle days.

My current hosting company (Hostway) although they have been reliable in the past don't offer exactly what I want and I need to get the new sites on different servers for SEO purposes.

I have come across UK2 Web hosting who seem OK but only offer MySQL and PHP on a Linux server. As I work in a Windows environment I was wondering whether anyone on here knows if I would have any problems linking up with a Linux server and also whether anyone knows whether UK2 Web hosting are any good or whether they can recommend anyone else.

Thanks in advance - Mike Dove

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Mike is your site currently hosted on a Windows server?

You shouldn't have any problems running PHP and MySQL on a LInux server - Business Advice Forum is run on PHP and MySQL and is on a LInux server.

Many webhosts will move your site from your current host, to their servers free of charge. You might want to ask UK2 Web Hosting if they can provide that service.

3. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lingua21

First thing UK2 is really good web hoisting company
    one of the my friend has started hosting company recently and he is using UK2 Dedicated server and he is very much satisfied with the service

See majority of servers in the world use Linux
    Linux is great OS ..! I think uk2 has a forum or ask there support.... they can answer you much better

4. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

If you haven't built anything yet then you can obviously choose. I assume when you say you work on windows that its a PC you mean. Working on a PC and having Linux hosting are 2 separate things and have no bearing on each other. Both Linux and Windows servers will have ftp access for transferring files and browser based control panels.

If you are looking to host in the UK for SEO purposes it would also help to own a .co.uk domain. You can still use a .co.uk and host outside of the UK and using google web master tools set the preferred location to be the UK.

Regards

5. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all your valuable advice and I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Basically my current translation/teaching site is on a windows server and I intend to keep it there mainly because I have been happy with the reliability of Hostway as a company and because the site ranks highly in Google for competitive keywords. There is a belief within the SEO community that if you change servers it could affect your Google positions and I can't afford to risk trying out this theory.

The new sites don't exist yet and will be developed on a pc with a windows operating system. One is going to be a site which will serve as a foreign language marketplace for students and teachers (co.uk). The other will be a portal for advertising Italian properties (.com). They will both be hosted on a different server and I will feed them some juice from the translation site to give them a bit of an initial boost.

So from what I understand, if I develop on a pc with a windows operating system and the PHP/MySQL server upon which the new sites are hosted has a linux operating system then there shouldn't be any major issues?

Thanks - Mike Dove

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

No, that shouldn't cause you any issues at all. You could run PHP and MySQL through an Apache server on your PC using XAMPP. I've downloaded it to my Windows PC and it works perfectly. You can then upload the site / files from your PC to your Linux hosting without any problems.

7. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

There are a few points in here so I'll try and answer each one separately.

1. Its not so much the server type but the technology the website is developed in. For example you can run PHP apps with a MySql database on both a Windows Server and Linux Server. Typically though if you have a site developed in .NET, .aspx or other Microsoft technologies then you tend to use a windows based server. If you use .jsp, .php and mysql you tend to use Linux. Linux would have a bigger hold in terms of hosting websites.

So it more depends on what you application is built in. If you are building it on a PC that doesnt matter. You may be writing the code in PHP just using a PC to do it.

2. Yes Page Rank can change if you move server. Its not the server though its due to a change in the IP address. It could be though a short lived change. You can try it out by replication the website on a new server and using .htaccess (if a linux server) to do 301 or 302 redirects to see how you get on.

3. For the .co.uk yes if you can host in the UK great but its not completely necessary since you have the .co.uk domain and as per my last point you set the location to be UK in Google webmaster tools.

3. The .com I guess will depend on where the target market is. Again its good to use Webmaster tools to set a preferred location though.

4. "PHP/MySQL server upon which the new sites are hosted has a linux operating system then there shouldn't be any major issues?" Yes you are correct. This would be the best way to go.

Regards

8. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cheers everyone,

Thanks for all your expert help. I sincerely appreciate it. I'm off to get some Dummies books now.

By the way, I take your points about how to rank in G's UK pages, although my translation site is a .com site, is on a US server and doesn't have any UK settings on in GWT but still ranks highly in G's UK pages. I believe this is because I obtained plenty of backlinks coming in from UK /.co.uk sites and because Google has worked out that it is a UK related site from the content.

All the best - Mike Dove

#8 Lingua21, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010