Photos for website

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by imthedudeman, Jun 6, 2011.

1. imthedudeman

imthedudeman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, I am starting a blog that I will use to deliver content to users and also support marketing efforts for digital products. I would like to find out the legality of using photos for the blog pages. Can I take photos of different objects for example and use them on the blog without legal issues? For example, if I wrote an article about cell phones, could I take a photo of my iPhone to use in the article? Thanks!

2. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, imthedudeman,

you can't take anything really unless you either ask the owner or read their terms and conditions of use of their content.

If for example you were advertising on behalf as an affiliate or CPA company on a commission basis, they quite often supply images and other marketing materials, but generally you mustn't go and swipe images of other peoples or businesses websites.

Well that's if you want to operate a legitimate business that is. You can buy stock photos and there are quite a few stock photo websites out there were you can get free uncopyrighted photos. Do a search in google for that. :)

Stephen

3. imthedudeman

imthedudeman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your response. I am actually asking about images that I would personally take with my camera to use on the blog. So in the example above, if I take a photo of my personal iPhone with my camera, would I still have to get permission from Apple to use the image?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

imthedudeman I really can't think of any reason why you would need permission from anyone to publish your own photos on your blog, assuming of course that the photos are taken legally. Obviously there is nothing illegal about taking photos of your own iPhone or other products. A huge number of blogs include photos taken by the blog owners of various products that they own and this is actually beneficial to the companies involved.

To be on the safe side you should probably include a copyright notification notice on your blog, similar to the one we have here on Business Advice Forum. Thus if Apple, or anyone else, has an issue with something on your site they can let you know and you can remove it before it becomes a legal issue.