Photo Studio Business - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by RestOwner, Apr 23, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Please send me some inputs about this. I am willing to open one.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

RestOwner, that's a very general question. You will get much more helpful responses if you can please make your questions a little more specific.

Where are you planning on opening the business?

Are you an experienced photographer or are you planning to hire one?

3. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What kind of busiess? A professional photo study or just a passport photo studio?
    Location?
    Does it need funding or have you got this?
    Will you be doing the photography or will you hire someone?
    Have you done market research to show there is a need for it in the area?

The list of questions could go on.....

4. dvduval

dvduval
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a friend in Florida making great money shooting BarMitzvahs, Wedding, etc.
    But agreed, this person is obviously very early in their business plan

5. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is why I am asking for an inputs on you guys coz i am very new in this kind of business and it is i think very interesting to start this business. I am planning to rent a pad for this kind of business. mostly photoshoot/ modeling. I have basic in photography but i can also learn more coz i always attend on seminars on photography.

6. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like every new business you will need to scope out if you can turn a profit. You would be best to sit down and write a simple business plan with estimated costs to run, this will give you an idea of the prices you will need to charge to turn a profit.

You will need to check out the local area where you want to rent, is there enough footfall to give you passing trade? if not, can you do / afford to do enough other marketing to bring in customers? Do you have a large enough portfolio at the moment to entice people to use your services?

You will need to be able to answer the basics before you consider putting any money into the idea.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with Sean that you need to write a basic business plan and do some research for your business. You can get some helpful business plan templates in our Useful Business Resources / Links thread.

Good luck with it and please do post back if you have any further questions.

8. Bjoern30

Bjoern30
    uix_expand uix_collapse

is he jewish? I learned there is big jewish community in florida and they are kind of closely connected once you have the foot in the door you are in forever...

I would start advertising your service without setting up shop - testing the water so to speak

9. miles2152

miles2152
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why would you do that? That screams unprofessionalism. As the others stated, he needs to do market research and create a business plan first. If he were photgraphing real estate and creating video tours for properties, doing weddings, or some other off site type of work then I would say ok maybe give it a try and work from home and setup a professional looking website.

Modeling on the other hand requires a lot of overhead such as lighting, computers, etc. It also requires you to meet with both clients and media representatives. Even if you are doing on location photo shoots only, you'll still need a location to work and meet with clients, if nothing else a storefront in a mall.

Also, RestOwner, if you only have basic photography skills, I would look into taking some classes before I pursued this as a business. Especially starting out, you don't need to be learning on the job. Referrals will be key to your success.

10. Bjoern30

Bjoern30
    uix_expand uix_collapse

why is everybody so after a business plan and research???????? LOL
    I saw so many people fail though they had a super duper business plan and spend months on research.. and he doesnt need a place to look professional - what he needs in the first place is knowledge and foremost CLIENTS...

he can try to find a shared office or maybe a shared studio....

11. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think doing business plans makes everything put in place. This is need a lot of capital that is why planning on it ahead may be the best way to have.

12. Bjoern30

Bjoern30
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you dont need a business plan my friend - you need an idea - so go find one and then come back and report here (opening a photo studio is not an idea its nothing :confused:)

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm a strong believer in the benefits of doing your research and completing a business plan. You don't have to spend months doing a fancy business plan, but you can benefit a lot from at least a basic plan. You can achieve a lot planning wise, by spending a few yours focused writing your plan. Writing the first draft of your business plan can be much more effective if you focus on the realities of the business, rather trying too hard to write a plan that will appeal to other people.

Why do you say that, there are lots of successful photo studio businesses?

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Without doing a business plan, your business will definitely fail.
    You need a plan to prevent unnecessary expenses that will give you debts.

Here's the meaning of a business plan according to Wiki:

15. Bjoern30

Bjoern30
    uix_expand uix_collapse

no there arent - its a dying industry
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/30/business/media/30photogs.html?emc=eta1
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/96190-professional-photography-dying.html

thats the reason I said he is in need of an idea - (if this person is even real) there are some ways you can make money out of photo but opening a studio (and investing money) is truly one of the worst ideas of the year...

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are wrong. Not all people have cameras or facilities to make formal shots for important documents like 1x1 or 2x2 or passport sized pictures. And using a photo studio is one of the best way to achieve that.

I even have a friend who have a photo studio near a school. First, he was still using a conventional camer, the one with the film. Look at now, with the success of his business, he even bought his own DSLR. :D

17. Bjoern30

Bjoern30
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I read an article yesterday stating that verbatim is still producing and selling huge amounts of 3,5 disks LOL (I guess the last I saw was almost 10 years ago)
    but obviously there are still people out there who using them for different reason

does this mean I should start producing and selling 3,5 :D

18. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Diskettes are still being sold in the market until this very day since not all people can buy flash drives.
    Honestly, photo studios are different on 3.5 Floppy Disks, IMO.

19. Bjoern30

Bjoern30
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LOL I am talking about the principle - would you rather invest in a business which is about to explode or extinct? We all know the numbers the odds are actually against new business owners (within 5 years so and so many businesses fail etc etc ) so imo you need every advantage you can get - I am not saying it cant be done...

20. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think so. Like I have said before, not all people have cameras or facilities to make formal shots for important documents like 1x1 or 2x2 or passport sized pictures. And using a photo studio is one of the best way to achieve that.