People register and activate their account

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by ace, Sep 5, 2011.

1. ace

ace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

People register and activate their account on my site but never posts and don't login. Does this happen to your site? Some member posts but they never stay active. Its hard to get active members now.

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It also happen in my site, they're just putting homepage links on thier profile like it really help.they also post thier services in classified ads sections. some of them really post well though, you just gotta have to asked them where and how theyve reached your site. Ask them related questions regarding thier intro post or details of thier services.

3. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Many people find an active forum and think that making an introduction and posting a few times will get people to click links in their signature or profile. Alternatively, people register to see hidden information, links which are hidden to guests, or to download items which can only be downloaded by registered members. It's not because they don't want to be active, there must be something on the forum that they want to register in order to see or get. Although, they might of registered and later on in the week they will come back. I've done that a few times but have forgotten to go back to that said forum.

This is why a certain post count to allow members to add a link in their profile is a good idea. Take BAF for example, you have to make 50 non-spam and useful posts to earn the chance to add a signature, meaning no members can register, add a link and leave again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ashimashi

ashimashi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes it does happen to my site. I also noticed that most of those are actually spambots. They sign up and notice that they all have advertisement in their signatures. But I have put that no one under 10 posts sig will be seen. So I don't know why maybe that could be why the spambots don't spam but I have no idea how they would know that.

5. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The internet has become such a busy place nowadays and with so many websites and forums I think it is hard to keep track on all the places where you have created your accounts (hotmail, yahoo and the types are exceptions) so re-visiting them is not always possible. I don't remember myself on all the places I have created login accounts.

Today almost every site requires login details and just for the sake of viewing a bit deeper once going through all the hassle seems such a waste.

6. Andi21

Andi21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is the problem of a lot admins. The main problems is that a website need to interested that members and a lot traffic are coming in. The members need see that there are also a lot of other members and a lot of new threads, posts and maybe contests. The only idea from me to you is to promote your site and increase design and features for members.

7. ashimashi

ashimashi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes I agree with you. I must be at least a member of 400+ forums so far and I am only active and somewhat active in around 7 or 8.

8. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the number of forums users has not increased with the rapid increase of forums now available on the internet. Being active in 7-8 is still quite too much for a human.

9. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should just send out monthly newsletters or monthly "We miss you!" emails to keep them coming back, even if it's just for a day or so. Some of them might stick around.

10. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i've always put these kind of emails to spam.
    daniwebs keeps sending this type of emails, it sound like so desperate like they've just been slapped by G :D
    just leave them alone and go on with your contents. don't sweat.

11. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need visitors to read your content otherwise there's no purpose to making content in the first place.
    I do put websites like Daniweb to the trash though. Adminzone, too. There are some sites that I forget I'm apart of that sends newsletters and it always makes me go back.
    It doesn't hurt to try.

12. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it might work , maybe for some, it will make them visit once again. contents help, its why those user found the site.
    a user that have just posted twice most probably wont come back when they receive a mail saying "we miss you."

13. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When a new member signs up, google his or her email address. If that ID comes back with a indication of spam, on maybe projecthoneypot.org or something like, then ban them.

I found that 70% of all those types of sign ups were spam.

14. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There will be more spammers/bots than actual users. That's just how it is.

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you by chance offer something on your forum like downloadables and freebies that can only be accessed when one registers?

16. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try offering incentives to newcomers so that they will want to come back. Send them a welcome message by thanking them for joining. Reward them when they hit a certain amount of posts.