Penguin update...

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by johnsmith1985, Jul 29, 2013.

1. johnsmith1985

johnsmith1985
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Had your site affected by penguin 2.0 that google rolled out on 22nd may 2013?

2. BODHost

BODHost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is there any reason to worry about that update? :confused:

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Before I address the subject of the thread, I need to ask both of these members a question. Have you read the Fergal's post concerning the updated Forum Rules
    or the Updated Forum Rules themselves? The rules were recently updated due to concerns about the quality of posts here on BAF, and it was hoped that addressing these concerns would lead to more informative, interesting threads. If you have not done so, I suggest you read them.
    Why are you asking the question? Has your site been effected, or are you just curious? Do you know what penguin 2.0 was designed to do, and what makes it different from the original penguin update? If someone was not effected before, why would they be effected now? Although the Forum rules update dos not specifically address questions, the same rules can be applied - Give some background or insight into why you are asking the question, and you will get more helpful answers.

The same principle addressed above also applies here. Knowing what penguin was for, and perhaps how to avoid being effected in the first place, would make the question more interesting, and perhaps provide the OP with an answer, of sorts, to his question.

Now, let's address the subject of the thread.

The original Penguin update to Google's algorithm was to deal with the types and quantities of links webmasters were using to get their websites ranked. Some were getting hundreds or even thousands of links in bulk. Others were concentrating too much on getting links from a particular type of website because they heard that these were more valuable. Penguin as created to encourage more natural, or natural-looking, link profiles. This includes the quality of the site the link is coming from, the relevancy of the page or article the link is from, and the quantity of links coming to your website.

As long as you have been following Google's Webmaster Guidelines, probably not. However, since links aren't necessarily created by the webmaster, and can come from anyone, taking a look at your link profile, and remove or disavow any that look like they don't belong. Be careful, though. If a link comes from a related article or website, it might be a good link even if you think it's strange.

For more information, take a look at this article from Search Engine Watch

• Like Like x 1
  4. abhi_garg

abhi_garg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No.. But one of my site been affected by Panda in 2011 after that once I recovered never get hit by any Google update :)

5. BODHost

BODHost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have seen many discussions and many articles all over the Internet regarding to these Google updates and everybody suggest this is right and that is wrong. I appreciate their efforts as they are trying to help. But when I read such kind of articles I always wonder why Google is not launching an official tool so people can check whether their website is being affected by the latest algorithm update or not. How hard can it be for them?

Do you really think big companies who always run heavy Adwords campaigns care about these updates? I am sure most of them even don’t care about their search results.

6. driansmith

driansmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Google has no interest in helping webmasters - their immediate goal is improving shareholder value.
    1. High rankings in Google is becoming almost irrelevant (for anything except the long tail words)
    2. The more confusion, the more (serious) marketeers will adopt Adwords

SEO is not dead yet - but it really is a lot less important.

http://www.consultancymarketing.co....-will-continue-to-do-so-google-panda-penguin/

• Like Like x 2
  7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Although it is true that Google will not help individual webmasters get their website ranked, they have provided, and continue to provide Webmaster Guidelines for those who want to make sure their website is optimized for Google's organic listings.

When choosing what keywords to rank for, website owners and/or webmasters want to find the phrases that are most relevant to the content of the page. Therefore, long tail keywords are better than short tail, or single word, keywords. For example, getting ranked for "shoes", may indeed be irrelevant, but "women's running shoes" would be better.

A large percentage of searchers still gravitate toward the organic listings, so SEO will be around for some time to come. It has, and will continue, to adapt as technology and conditions change.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't know about the affect But nowadays I am getting little traffic to my site. I think the update did a little good thing too; it swapped away the unnecessary sites not relevant on the search.