penalty due to too much backlink from same site?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by daytrader, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

is penalty due to too much backlink from same site really happening to some sites? I suspect this is also happening to my website.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

It could be happening. Many times, I have advised people to make sure they have a diverse assortment of links from a variety of websites. Getting too many links from the same site makes your link building look fake, and is a red flag for the search engines.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If there are links that you feel may look particularly spammy, e.g. if they are on link farm sites, you could use Google's Disavow Tool to remove any negative impact from those links.

4. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm not sure whether it is really a penalty if you have too many links from one source. I think it is more likely that the links just lose value. For example, if your site has a link in the footer of every page of a site or in the blogroll on every page of a blog, the search engines are going to understand that is not an editorial link and will not give you much credit. On the other hand, you can't necessarily prevent a friendly blogger from including you in his blogroll so I don't think that it would make sense for a search engine to penalize you for all those links.

On the other hand, since Matt Cutts has specifically said that Google looks for natural linking patterns, if all of your links came in huge bunches from a few sites, your overall linking pattern could look suspect and THAT might get you penalized in the SERPs.

• Like Like x 2
  5. morriswilson58

morriswilson58
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Many backlink from single website can be spammy link. So always try to get link for different different websites.

6. cathysmith

cathysmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is due to hiding links in css, java-script or many more file types,meta tag keyword stuffing,using hacked website,on promoting black hat techniques and many more reasons behind the penalty and to overcome from this you have to keep these negative points in your mind.

7. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Joeroxx is right. However, there are some sites that have links from the same pages but uses nofollow. To some extent there is no problem with that.

On the other side, links that come from the same source and placed in a suspicious part of the site (e.g sidewide, upper part) and uses exact match keywords, with low quality contents and low traffic, then perhaps that's the time Google can turn your site down the moment they caught you.

8. Jason Parms

Jason Parms
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Including the reason which you have listed here, there also other reasons such as use of black hat SEO, duplicate content, over optimization, links to penalized websites etc. are responsible to get penalty for the website.

Have you got any penalty message from webmaster?? Because there are two type of penalty, one is algorithm penalty and second one is manual penalty hence if your website is hit by manual penalty then webmaster has already sent message regarding it but for algorithm penalty then you will not get any message from web master and you have to find out the reason for which search engine had given the penalty.

#8 Jason Parms, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  9. dhanraj

dhanraj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

too much is too bad as we all know this and everything will be fine until it is meeting quality parameter.

10. VishalBhatt123

VishalBhatt123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Getting many back link from one site is looking a spammy or fake back link for your site. So, it is not beneficial for your site and you may penalized for that.

11. DIMCOorg

DIMCOorg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes that's possible. Especially when the website that's linking to you has low Page Rank (PR) and the anchor text is the same. This is a sure fire way to get penalized by both Google Panda and Google Penguin updates.

But this is an easy fix (considering that this is the only factor that's affecting your current rankings). All you have to do is find out which website is linking to you, go to google disavow tool and disavow those links. You should come back withing a week or two.

How to find out who's linking to you:

Go to ahrefs . com (I would post links, but I don't think I am allowed to because I'm a new member), just google it.
    Insert your URL
    Scroll down and find out who's linking to you the most and the anchor text that they are using. If you see like 100 or 1000 links from the same site with the same anchor text, you my friend just identified your problem.
    Go to google disavow tool and simply tell google not to count those links. Go to youtube and find a tutorial on how to use the disavow tool.

You're done! You should come back fairly quickly.

12. Halwits

Halwits
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Getting too many backlinks from the same site leads to the penalization of your website by search engine because search engine thinks that you are auto generating your backlinks which is not of quality and also not to be trusted.

13. Denishverma

Denishverma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ownedbox !

This is called Over Optimization.

The backlinks must be ethical and relevant to your category with high PR , DA =Domain Authority , PA = Page Authority Rank.
    Google changing time to time, So we need to concentrate on quality links instead of no. of submissions.

More submissions = Spam
    Less Submissions but Quality links = No Spam.

Cheers !!

14. ndirect

ndirect
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree Denishverma, submissions are only going to ruin the quality! Even spending a week on finding a few top quality links is MUCH better than finding heaps of submission type links in a day!

15. Gisele B.

Gisele B.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Too many backlinks from the same website might cause banning only in case when the two websites are not compatible with their content and keywords.

16. marrick

marrick
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not a penalty. Google will only count that link as one no matter how many pages your site is linked to in the same domain. There's only a small chance of getting banned by doing this. However, you won't be getting any reasonable value as well unless the site has good authority.

17. deepak tiwari

deepak tiwari
    uix_expand uix_collapse

to much back link from same site looks spam-my you can may be banned from search engine

18. uthra

uthra
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Coming many backlinks from same website is just improve the amount of backlinks.It is useless not not help to improve the keyword ranking.

19. onegoodman25

onegoodman25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am assuming only if they built unnaturally, otherwise every user has a link in his signature in a forum would be in trouble with Google :)

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

[Closing thread, please send me a PM if you would like it re-opened.]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.