Penalty charges for Self assesment

Discussion in 'Accounting and Taxes' started by Scarface_007, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ok the situation is confusing!!! First of all i applied for the online username/password for HMRC 8 times before the deadline...

1)Didnt receive the username/password at all

2) after deadline i received penalty of £100

3) i called hmrc spoke to manager who advised i fill in penalty appeal and sent the appeal form as per my request

4) I filled appeal form and as usual hmrc takes months to get back

5) 2 weeks later from appeal i received confirmation along with another penalty this time for £320

P.s Reason for £320 they gave is that i sent self assessment form via mail not online thats why its £320 not £100 yet i was never once told reagrs to such penalty ...

6) I called again spoke to manager again and he said i only need to pay £171.77 as there is no daily penalty and if i paid by 21st of march no more charges would incur I did pay on the day of the call which was 19th march...

7) i worked for census and i overpaid £248 tax i sent refund form

8) I called to find situation they said £248 went towards the £320 and now i get another letter saying i need to pay £71.77 as well?

I'm very angry as i was clearly told £100 at first then £177.71 and nothing more yet they charged me my refund of tax money plus they want extra £71.77 please anyone with knowledge in HMRC taxes guide me to the best possible solution thanks in advance.

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I actually think you are getting bullied If your statements are true. Why are they charging you for nothing. Have you tried to get help outside HMRC? This actually looks nonsense to me of what they did to you.

3. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I will get citizean advice to help me on this, they are charging so much for no reason and its clearly their fault problem is with appeal we never win.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unfortunately dealing with tax authorities can be very frustrating. I'd suggest trying to get the name of someone in the HMRC who you feel is helpful and who is prepared to take responsibility for your case. Then write to this person directly, explain the circumstances and ask them for a response.

Good luck with it.

5. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Fergal thanks for the help there is a manager who was helpful but problem is he works in Liverpool center and the main number no on transfers you and they dont give direct numbers really frustrating. Do you recon citizen advice bureau could help me ?

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You could try writing to him directly? That way you also have a written record of all communication.

I would say that there is no harm in speaking to them. Explain the situation to them as clearly as you can, then ask them what they can do to help.

7. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

problem is he didnt give me his address of Liverpool office and there are more then one department in hmrc.

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you have not talk to right manager..something is wrong from his end..I guess rules are rules for everybody..manager is cooking something at his end...take advice from someone another and it should get all under control..If necessary, make a personal visit.. this is clearly the case of harrassment..but unfortunately difficult to deal with it in an approached manner...

9. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Scifi, I had spoken to several managers and all had intially told me £100 now the new ones dont agree with me i asked them to do call pull i shouldnt be paying this much for only 1 and half month of self employment and i didnt even earn anything.