PayPal is ending its year-long partnership with China's Alibaba

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by sigma, Aug 4, 2011.

1. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

PayPal is ending its year-long partnership with AliExpress, the wholesale goods services of China's Alibaba...and gives no reason.

Online payment giant PayPal has announced it will be ending its year-long partnership with AliExpress, the wholesale goods service of China’s Alibaba that is aimed primarily at businesses and corporations. PayPal gives no reason for ending the relationship, but industry reports have the company unhappy with the amount of goods AliExpress is retailing directly to consumers rather than businesses.

“PayPal remains deeply committed to China by providing Chinese merchants access to a safer and easier way to sell to millions of our users all over the world,” wrote PayPal Asia Pacific’s director of communications Dickson Seow, in a statement. “You’ll continue to see new initiatives, products, and services from PayPal in China that help Chinese merchants grow their businesses by selling goods and services to our global buyers.”

PayPal says its overall payment volume in “Greater China” exceeded $4.4 billion during 2010, a 44 percent increase over 2009.

AliExpress is part of Alibaba.com, which is in turn part of the Alibaba Group. American Internet giant Yahoo has a 43 percent stake in the Alibaba Group, which has simultaneously become one of the company’s most valuable assets and a source of friction. Currently, Alibaba and Yahoo are working to resolve a dispute over transitioning Alibaba’s own online payment service, AliPay, into a separate corporate entity licensed to handle online payments in China. Yahoo claims it was caught by surprised when Alibaba spun off AliPay, and is working with Alibaba to ensure it is “appropriately compensated.”

PayPal announced its partnership with AliExpress a little over a year ago.

Source: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/paypal-terminates-partnership-with-alibaba/

This is very bad for international buyer like me :(
    Lose another good online shopping site to purchase goods

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm sure that it will be a big loss to Alibaba. Sorry to hear that it will be a loss to you Sigma, were you purchasing from there for personal or business / resale purposes?

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't sell any product, I just buy for personal use
    Too bad to heard that they no more accept paypal

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Perhaps they will accept credit card now Sigma?

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They actually accept credit card all the time, they only start accept paypal since last year august.
    The recent I prefer paypal just because my paypal balance is in USD. If using credit card, I gotta pay more due to the currency exchange