Paypal fees for all transactions :(

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by simplyjo, Jun 6, 2009.

1. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Friends, did you notice paypal is now charging 3.4%+0.30 USD per transaction (for receiving payments) in Personal/Premier accounts :( A payee gets two options while paying now - Purchase and personal - Only if they choose personal, no service fee will be charged. But if you misuse this Paypal might suspend your account. So, is it OK for you to ask your buyers to choose personal mode just to avoid fees ? I guess not. I had been relying on PP till now - Which is the next best alternate site for payments ? I am from India.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've been using PayPal for years and personally I'm happy with their service. If you have a large e-commerce business with huge sales volume you can save money by using bank merchant services on your site. However, PayPal are ideal for handling online sales of low to medium volume and their fees are generally less than you can get elsewhere.

Based on other posts you have made about your business I would suggest that PayPal is the best option for you. But you are absolutely right to look at alternatives to see if they can offer you a lower cost solution.

Have you looked at PayPal's fees page to ensure that you are on the best rates for your business? Depending on the level of business going through your account, you can sometimes apply for a lower fee level - I believe it's if you are doing over $3,000 per month, but check the link for your own circumstances.

If you are looking for other payment options have a look at the links below;

http://aws.amazon.com/fps/ - A relatively new service from Amazon
    http://authorize.net/
    http://www.rbsworldpay.com/
    https://www.alertpay.com/index.aspx
    http://www.sagepay.com/
    http://www.moneybookers.com
    http://www.2checkout.com

Good luck with it and please do let us know what you decide and how it works out.

3. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal.
    Due to wide usage of Paypal, Almost all my clients have PayPal (Infact, till now I never even asked them if they use some other payment gateway). I checked out MoneyBookers and it has relatively low fees - 1% to receive payments which is pretty good and around USD 2 to withdraw money to your bank. Seems good but Paypal is just so much more simplier !
    Due to my comfort level with PP and wide usage, I guess I'll stick to it.
    Though - Does anyone know if charges are same for Personal and Premier accounts ?

4. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

One of the few benefits that paypal gives businesses, is the lower transfer rates.

I pay 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction on my corporate account. My volume has been increasing, and, with luck, I'll be down to 1.9% before the summer ends.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Jo, I don't believe they charge any less on Premier accounts. At least they don't mention it here on PayPal's transaction fees.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can have 1 Personal and 1 Premier account in Paypal. The good thing about Personal accounts is that they don't charge you any fees for transactions. But the downside is that you will only be able to receive a limited number of credit card transactions. Premier accounts doesn't have this limitation but you will be charged as you've mentioned above, for credit card transactions.

Why don't you ask your buyers to pay you through your personal account first? When you've reached the limit, only then will you ask them to pay you through you premier account.

7. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

simplyjo, When you upgrade to Premier account, your fees increases. But it's not so in Personal account. Once I had mistakely upgarded to Premier account. But with the great help of Paypal, I was able to restore it back to Personal account.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is the greatest letdown that I have experienced when using PayPal.
    In my opinion, they have made this move to earn more on their growing members. I really don't have any choice since PayPal is the only pay processor that have less fees than others.

Is it a good move to upgrade to Premier because they only have almost the same fees?

#8 GekiDan, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  9. vlt

vlt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can just send the money throw personal tab and not the purchase tab to eliminate all the receiving fees.

10. wonder.woman

wonder.woman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Too Risky

For me, I personally think that paying through Paypal is inconvenient and risky. For some, I understand its part of their business and that is just the only mode of payment. Since I'm dun 100% throw myself into the business world, I would prefer to skip paying with such a mode. No offence to Paypal though ....

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's difficult to criticize their fees, if they are the lowest.

If you are looking for alternatives you can view a helpful list of online payment processors in our Useful Online Business Resources.

You can view the benefits of PayPal premier and business accounts here. A quick look at that page should let you know if these features are relevant to you.

Please do let us know if you have any further questions.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you use an alternative? Which one?

13. Superbs

Superbs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well i don't think the move from paypal would be good for people earning around $50 or less a month through web and who use paypal to receive the money as the fees would eat up much % of it. although it's good that they have still made a free option available for personal uses. i would suggest you to make a smart use of it and not use the featuresfor smaller transactions. i think it would be safe to use the option once or twice a month max. i would say use it only when u have to transact higher amounts and not for $1 kinda transactions.

Fergal, rather than paypal i would suggest alertpay. it's quite the same as paypal with features also lower in fees.

http://www.alertpay.com

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that Superbs, however I'm actually happy enough with PayPal and really don't see a need to change. When I start earning huge money online I'll look at options for a lower cost alternative :)

15. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm also a member of Paypal. And I'm happy about their service they been providing. Actually, they won't charge any fees for Personal Account untill you're businessman or go premiere for huge transcations.

You shouldn't be having problem around with it.

16. learn2earn

learn2earn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No More Transactions Fees in Paypal

If you have a personal account and some one to whom you have sended money, would be incurring any transaction charges if you are sending money from your Paypal account balance. The charges levied are same if you use Credit Card or Debit Card Balance for the Transfer.

Isn't that good news.

17. shyflower

shyflower
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry, but I don't see the change there. Of course, I have a business account and pay a fee every time I receive money. There has never been (to my knowledge) a fee for sending it.

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've a Premier account and I've never been charged for sending money. However, I now have two options when sending money - I can click "Purchase" or "Personal". I haven't noticed any changes in the "Purchase" option. If I chose the "Personal" option I can elect to pay the fees so that the recipient doesn't have to pay them.

There have been some occasions in the past when I've wanted to pay the fees for the receiver and had to guess or estimate what they were likely to be. By choosing the "Personal" option PayPal tells me exactly what the fees are and allows me to pay them. PayPal, still gets their fee of course.

#18 Fergal, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  19. shyflower

shyflower
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm a little confused. If you are sending money, wouldn't you be sending it to a seller? What fees would a buyer pay?

20. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not always the case that you send money to the merchant/seller when you're the buyer. You can also send money to someone for other reasons like for services done and other business dealings.