Payment Methods

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by King Justice, Apr 2, 2008.

1. King Justice

King Justice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When operating an online business, it is important to consider what payment methods you'll be accepting from customers.

It is crucial that you go above and beyond with how many payment methods that you'll accept. It is highly suggested that, depending on your niche, you choose PayPal as the default option as a payment method - PayPal is used by a high percentage of Internet users and making/receiving payments with/through PayPal is a breeze.

Keep the user in mind and you'll be able to generate more sales. Consider accepting both checks and money orders for those less tech-savvy users that are afraid of sharing their financial information over the Internet.

Keep the payment methods that you accept diverse to ensure the maximum number of sales, and thus profit, that your online business can accumulate. :)

2. d1976

d1976
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I used safe and secure method i.e. paypal

3. avi007i

avi007i
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Accepting payment though paypal and credit cards are a must .

Accepting payments though alertpay and moneybookers is not that important.

4. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree accepting credit cards is a must, but paypal is becoming near worthless for a seller, with no protections against scammers ordering merchandise, getting it, then doing a charge back. Paypal will let them do it and will give heavy penalties to you for it.

It is better to get your own merchant account, or use authorize.net, than paypal. You can still take paypal money transfers, just avoid taking credit cards from them.

Google Check Out, while slow in processing, is also a viable alternative to taking paypal credit cards.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I do share the concerns expressed regarding PayPal. However, it has some positives. Almost everyone online can pay using PayPal, it is very easy to accept money through PayPal and it is very easy to set up your site to accept PayPal payments. Obviously all of this isn't much good to you if you get scammed and don't get paid.

I use PayPal to accept payments for directory listings. This is quite secure. If a payment doesn't go through I can remove the listing and all it will have cost me is my time. Unfortunately the situation is different when you are shipping physical goods.

I've had a bad experience as a buyer. I paid someone half up front to develop software for a site I was running. The supplier stopped communicating with me as soon as he got payment and he didn't do any of the work he was paid for.

I contacted PayPal and they said that as I was buying something intangible they had no way of proving whether or not he delivered the service he was paid for. He had told PayPal he had provided the service. I lost the money and the scammer got to keep it. The only consolation was that, at least I hadn't paid for the full service up front.

6. css25

css25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also use PayPal to accept payments for directory listings.
    I had bad experience with PayPal too. I purchased one dedicated server, paid it, but I never got my dedicated server. I contacted PayPal and they ask me to open a dispute case. After 15 days, PayPal closed the dispute case and the scammer got the money. They reason is I have no full evidence to prove the case. :|

7. Connnerrr

Connnerrr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I really think PayPal is the way to go. It seems like almost everyone has one, and they are quite reliable. But credit cards and alternate sites like AlertPay should be used in case someone has them. In my opinion, PayPal should always be the default and if they want to pay via other source, they can contact you.

8. Footzilla

Footzilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, in my opinion paypal is the best payment method. Everyone is using it everyday and majority of the sites offer payments to be made by paypal. Paypal is safe and trustable unlike credit cards. Thousands of credit cards get hacked everyday so we should consider paypal as a payment method

9. moonlight

moonlight
    uix_expand uix_collapse

:rolleyes:i know that many people think paypal is the perfect method but i diagree with that as i think paypal is not even a good way may be it's scure but still not supporting many countries they also have the right to frooz or limit any account in other hand the support team there is unhelpful at all
    for me the best payment method is e-gold then moneybookers

10. upineter

upineter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most of internet user use paypal in payment transaction. Payment with paypal is secure because every user of it have to verify of their account with credit card. In EBay user use paypal for transaction.